Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Superposition of an electron

1. Oct 16, 2016 #1
    Does a superposed state of an electron exist over a larger amount of space than the state of an electron as a particle?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2
    You would have to define the boundary conditions, energy etc of the system to answer.

4. Oct 16, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand what you mean. Can you rephrase the question?

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4
    I am comparing the particle version of an electron to the electron in a superposition of possible states. The particle is assumed to be concentrated in one region and not in a superposition, and the particle has experienced decoherence. On the other hand, the electron described by superposition is mathematically composed of a linear combination of states, and I am wondering if those states are thought to exist over a wider range of space than in the space that the particle exists.

6. Oct 16, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The point is that you can't say a vector is "in superposition". A vector is a vector. It can be decomposed into superpositions of any other vectors. A particularly important superposition is to express the vector as a linear combination with respect to a basis, in QT most conveniently in terms of a orthonormal basis. You have to specify which basis you mean to say which "superposition" you mean.

7. Oct 16, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the QM nature of an electron. Do you have in mind the state of a free electron after a measurement of its position?

8. Oct 16, 2016 #7
    I have in mind the state of a free electron as it travels through space. Such an electron would be in superposition with itself, right?

9. Oct 16, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That statement makes no sense to me. How much QM do you know? Are you learning it yourself?

10. Oct 16, 2016 #9
    I am currently learning QM on my own, yes.

Maybe that statement would make more sense in the context of the double slit experiment for electrons. If one electron travels through a double slit diffraction grating, one of the conclusions from that experiment is that the electron interferes with itself when the electron is not measured.

11. Oct 16, 2016 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are we talking about a free electron or the double-slit experiment?

One last question: do you have a text book? If not, what are you using to learn QM?

12. Oct 16, 2016 #11
    Double-slit experiment. Sorry for the confusion.

I have David Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

13. Oct 16, 2016 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's your question about the double-slit experiment?

This makes no sense to me and suggests you haven't understood the concept of a wave function or the supporting mathematics. For example:

An electron is a particle and is fully described by its wave function, which is a function of time and position and represents the state of the particle.

How far have you got with Griffiths?

14. Oct 16, 2016 #13
    I have read the first three chapters of Griffiths. I have watched some online lectures from universities as well.

If I remember correctly, decoherence is equivalent to wave function collapse. This decoherence, which is a consequence of measurement, causes a particle to be observed.

In the context of the double slit experiment, before measurement at a phosphorescent screen, the particle is mathematically described by a wave function that is a linear combination of states. One conclusion from the double slit experiment is that the electron must behave like a wave in order for the diffraction pattern to appear at a phosphorescent screen. By definition of a wave, this wave has to take up more space than the particle version of an electron that only travels through one slit, right?

I would also like to know how the wave behavior of the electron is linked to the wave function of the electron -- is the wave function of the electron the same as the wave behavior that must occur in order for a diffraction pattern to appear? If so, I think that would imply the wave function of an electron exists across more space than the wave function for the particle version of an electron.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  15. Oct 16, 2016 #14

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have written, IMO, shows the influence of pop-science videos! None of that could come from Griffiths, not least because:

a) He doesn't use the term decoherence.

b) He doesn't cover the double-slit experiement.

c) He never talks about a particle having "wave-like" behaviour or the wave-particle duality.

One answer:

The wave function of a particle is not the same as a particle having "wavelike" behaviour. That is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part.

And one suggestion:

I would stick to Griffiths and learn QM from him (that's the real deal) and forget the pop-science videos you've been watching.

16. Oct 16, 2016 #15
    Alright, thank you for pointing that out! I'll need to be more careful with what I accept as facts.

17. Oct 16, 2016 #16
  18. Oct 16, 2016 #17

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As I said, Griffiths does not explain or use the term "wave-particle" duality. What it doesn't mean is that an electron is "sometimes a wave and sometimes a particle".

Try this:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted