What is the wavelike behavior of an electron in superposition?

In summary: If so, I think that would imply the wave function of an electron exists across more space than the wave function for the particle version of an electron.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a superposed state of an electron and whether it exists over a larger amount of space compared to the state of an electron as a particle. It is mentioned that this depends on the boundary conditions, energy, and other factors of the system. It is also stated that a vector cannot be in superposition and that the concept of a free electron in superposition does not make sense. The conversation also touches on the double-slit experiment and how it demonstrates the wave
Kiki
Does a superposed state of an electron exist over a larger amount of space than the state of an electron as a particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to define the boundary conditions, energy etc of the system to answer.

Likes Kiki
Kiki said:
Does a superposed state of an electron exist over a larger amount of space than the state of an electron as a particle?
I don't understand what you mean. Can you rephrase the question?

I am comparing the particle version of an electron to the electron in a superposition of possible states. The particle is assumed to be concentrated in one region and not in a superposition, and the particle has experienced decoherence. On the other hand, the electron described by superposition is mathematically composed of a linear combination of states, and I am wondering if those states are thought to exist over a wider range of space than in the space that the particle exists.

The point is that you can't say a vector is "in superposition". A vector is a vector. It can be decomposed into superpositions of any other vectors. A particularly important superposition is to express the vector as a linear combination with respect to a basis, in QT most conveniently in terms of a orthonormal basis. You have to specify which basis you mean to say which "superposition" you mean.

Likes Kiki
Kiki said:
I am comparing the particle version of an electron to the electron in a superposition of possible states. The particle is assumed to be concentrated in one region and not in a superposition, and the particle has experienced decoherence. On the other hand, the electron described by superposition is mathematically composed of a linear combination of states, and I am wondering if those states are thought to exist over a wider range of space than in the space that the particle exists.

I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the QM nature of an electron. Do you have in mind the state of a free electron after a measurement of its position?

PeroK said:
I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the QM nature of an electron. Do you have in mind the state of a free electron after a measurement of its position?
I have in mind the state of a free electron as it travels through space. Such an electron would be in superposition with itself, right?

Kiki said:
I have in mind the state of a free electron as it travels through space. Such an electron would be in superposition with itself, right?

That statement makes no sense to me. How much QM do you know? Are you learning it yourself?

PeroK said:
That statement makes no sense to me. How much QM do you know? Are you learning it yourself?
I am currently learning QM on my own, yes.

Maybe that statement would make more sense in the context of the double slit experiment for electrons. If one electron travels through a double slit diffraction grating, one of the conclusions from that experiment is that the electron interferes with itself when the electron is not measured.

Kiki said:
I am currently learning QM on my own, yes.

Maybe that statement would make more sense in the context of the double slit experiment for electrons. If one electron travels through a double slit diffraction grating, one of the conclusions from that experiment is that the electron interferes with itself when the electron is not measured.

Are we talking about a free electron or the double-slit experiment?

One last question: do you have a textbook? If not, what are you using to learn QM?

PeroK said:
Are we talking about a free electron or the double-slit experiment?

One last question: do you have a textbook? If not, what are you using to learn QM?
Double-slit experiment. Sorry for the confusion.

I have David Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

Kiki said:
Double-slit experiment. Sorry for the confusion.

I have David Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

What's your question about the double-slit experiment?

Kiki said:

This makes no sense to me and suggests you haven't understood the concept of a wave function or the supporting mathematics. For example:

An electron is a particle and is fully described by its wave function, which is a function of time and position and represents the state of the particle.

How far have you got with Griffiths?

I have read the first three chapters of Griffiths. I have watched some online lectures from universities as well.

If I remember correctly, decoherence is equivalent to wave function collapse. This decoherence, which is a consequence of measurement, causes a particle to be observed.

In the context of the double slit experiment, before measurement at a phosphorescent screen, the particle is mathematically described by a wave function that is a linear combination of states. One conclusion from the double slit experiment is that the electron must behave like a wave in order for the diffraction pattern to appear at a phosphorescent screen. By definition of a wave, this wave has to take up more space than the particle version of an electron that only travels through one slit, right?

I would also like to know how the wave behavior of the electron is linked to the wave function of the electron -- is the wave function of the electron the same as the wave behavior that must occur in order for a diffraction pattern to appear? If so, I think that would imply the wave function of an electron exists across more space than the wave function for the particle version of an electron.

Last edited:
Kiki said:
I have read the first three chapters of Griffiths. I have watched some online lectures from universities as well.

If I remember correctly, decoherence is equivalent to wave function collapse. This decoherence, which is a consequence of measurement, causes a particle to be observed.

In the context of the double slit experiment, before measurement at a phosphorescent screen, the particle is mathematically described by a wave function that is a linear combination of states. One conclusion from the double slit experiment is that the electron must behave like a wave in order for the diffraction pattern to appear at a phosphorescent screen. By definition of a wave, this wave has to take up more space than the particle version of an electron that only travels through one slit.

I would like to know how the wave behavior of the electron is linked to the wave function of the electron -- is the wave function of the electron the same as the wave behavior that must occur in order for a diffraction pattern to appear? If so, I think that would imply the wave function of an electron exists across more space than the wave function for the particle version of an electron.

What you have written, IMO, shows the influence of pop-science videos! None of that could come from Griffiths, not least because:

a) He doesn't use the term decoherence.

b) He doesn't cover the double-slit experiement.

c) He never talks about a particle having "wave-like" behaviour or the wave-particle duality.

One answer:

The wave function of a particle is not the same as a particle having "wavelike" behaviour. That is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part.

And one suggestion:

I would stick to Griffiths and learn QM from him (that's the real deal) and forget the pop-science videos you've been watching.

Likes vanhees71 and Kiki
Alright, thank you for pointing that out! I'll need to be more careful with what I accept as facts.

Kiki said:
I still have a question though, what is the "wavelike" behavior of the electron?
Here is a useful reference: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/15/3/033018/pdf

As I said, Griffiths does not explain or use the term "wave-particle" duality. What it doesn't mean is that an electron is "sometimes a wave and sometimes a particle".

Try this:

1. What is the superposition of an electron?

The superposition of an electron refers to the quantum mechanical principle that an electron can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

2. How does superposition affect the behavior of electrons?

Superposition allows electrons to exhibit wave-like properties, such as interference and diffraction, in addition to their particle-like behavior. This allows for a more complete understanding of their behavior in various systems.

3. What is the significance of superposition in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is one of the key principles of quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing.

4. Can superposition be observed in everyday life?

No, superposition is a phenomenon that is only observed at the subatomic level and does not occur in everyday objects. This is due to the large scale and interactions of macroscopic objects, which prevent them from exhibiting quantum behavior.

5. How is superposition related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Superposition contributes to this uncertainty, as it means that an electron can exist in multiple positions simultaneously until it is observed, making it impossible to determine its exact location.