Allowed EM Waveforms: Which Ones?

In summary, the equations of EM theory allow for three electric field components, E_x, E_y, and E_z, in a vacuum.
Rahulrj

Homework Statement

which of the following proposed space-time dependent electric fields in vacuum is/are allowed by the equations of EM theory?
a) $$E_x=E_1\sin(kz-wt),E_y=E_2\sin(kz-wt),E_z=0$$
b) $$E_x=E_1\sin(kz-wt),E_y=2E_1\cos(kz-wt),E_z=0$$
c) $$E_x=E_1\sin(kz-wt),E_y=0,E_z=E_2\sin(kz-wt)$$

Homework Equations

$$E = E_0\sin(kz-wt)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think all the three equations are allowed according to the normal waveform. However I do not know what exactly to look for in such case that does not make it an allowed waveform. I would appreciate if someone could show an example that is not a waveform if my answer turns out to be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Rahulrj, :welcome:

What are
Rahulrj said:
the equations of EM theory
?

I'm afraid your relevant equation doesn't mean much in the context of this problem. Anyway: what are all those symbols referring to ? You write vectors and scalars the same way ?

BvU said:
Hello Rahulrj, :welcome:

What are

?

I'm afraid your relevant equation doesn't mean much in the context of this problem. Anyway: what are all those symbols referring to ? You write vectors and scalars the same way ?
I do not know how to identify the allowed wave form and 'the equations of EM theory' idea doesn't help me much since I do not know what I require to distinguish an allowed waveform. $$E_x E_y $$and$$E_z$$ are electric field components,that's how the question itself is given.

The equations of EM theory are called the Maxwell equations, as I suspect you are supposed to know (from the fact you are given this exercise)...

BvU said:
The equations of EM theory are called the Maxwell equations, as I suspect you are supposed to know (from the fact you are given this exercise)...
I do know Maxwell equations but I am not sure how to make use of them to know the allowed waveform which is why I said that it doesn't help me much.

Do you now how to transform the maxwell equations into a wave equation ? Then you can check if the given ##\vec E## can satisfy such equations...

BvU said:
Do you now how to transform the maxwell equations into a wave equation ? Then you can check if the given ##\vec E## can satisfy such equations...
I don't think I understand that could please provide an example?
$$\nabla.D = \rho$$
How do i transform this?

In vacuum ##\rho = 0##...

1. What are allowed EM waveforms?

Allowed EM waveforms refer to the types of electromagnetic waves that can exist and propagate through space. These include radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. Which EM waveforms are not allowed?

There are no known EM waveforms that are not allowed. However, certain types of EM radiation, such as high-energy gamma rays, can be harmful to living organisms.

3. How do scientists determine which EM waveforms are allowed?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Maxwell's equations, to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves and determine which ones are allowed based on their frequency and wavelength.

4. Why are some EM waveforms allowed while others are not?

The allowed EM waveforms differ in their frequency and wavelength, which determine their energy and properties. Some waveforms, like visible light, have a lower frequency and longer wavelength, making them less harmful and more easily able to propagate through space.

5. Can allowed EM waveforms be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, scientists have developed technology that allows for the manipulation and control of EM waveforms. This includes devices like antennas, lasers, and satellite communication systems.