1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of Spherical Charge Distributions

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs031.snc1/2658_1060058793594_1589658877_146788_3259033_n.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

e4ef2c130bca53d8ee3cb5e0056af2b1.png

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know that I should use the superposition principle, and treat it as 2 superimposed spheres of opposite charge densities. I can use Gauss's law to find the electric field of each. However I am having a little trouble figuring out how to take into account the fact that the spheres are not concentric. I also don't know whether to use the electric field inside or outside the spheres.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you are interested in finding the electric field inside the cavity, that region lies within both the large sphere and the small sphere, so you want to use the fields inside each sphere.

What do you get for the individual fields fields, in vector form, inside the spheres?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook