Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Alg.

In summary: I don't know Z/S so I can't tell. It's a standard textbook on commutative rings.In summary, if you want books with lots of problems about commutative algebra, you can supplement Zariski/Samuel with other books. However, you might not like Eisenbud's book because it is very verbose.
bacte2013
Dear teachers,

I am curious if you know some good books that have problems well supplemented to "Commutative Algebra I-II" by Zariski/Samuel. I am really enjoying it, but it does not have any exercise, leaving me to try coming up with my own problems (it is fun to do, but I would like to solve some concrete problems too). Essentially, I would like books that contain a lot of problems about commutative algebra to supplement Zariski/Samuel (I am not planning to read those supplementary books).

Also, is it a good idea to read a book in the computational commutative algebra along with Zariski/Samuel? I am very interested in studying Grobner basis, which Z/S does not have.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I have this book, which is full of exercises. However, I don't know whether there is a solution manual to them.
(11 chapters with ≈10-30 exercises per chapter)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201407515/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Does it have similar flow as Z/S? If they cover topics in different arrangement or viewpoints, then the problem sets might not really suit the chapters well.

I don't know Z/S so I can't tell. It's a standard textbook on commutative rings.

Do every exercise in Atiyah-Macdonald. Alternatively, you could look at Eisenbud's book

mathers101 said:
Do every exercise in Atiyah-Macdonald. Alternatively, you could look at Eisenbud's book

I am using Z/S and A/M. I do not like Eisenbud; it is very verbose.

fresh_42 said:
I have this book, which is full of exercises. However, I don't know whether there is a solution manual to them.
(11 chapters with ≈10-30 exercises per chapter)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201407515/?tag=pfamazon01-20
There's some solution manual which you can find in library genesis, mind you someone warned me that there are fatal mistakes in this SM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Alg.

1. What is the main focus of Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Algebra?

The main focus of Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Algebra is to provide additional exercises and problems for readers of the textbook "Commutative Algebra" by Zariski and Samuel. These problems cover various topics in commutative algebra and are designed to deepen the understanding of the material presented in the textbook.

2. Are the problems in this book suitable for beginners?

No, the problems in Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Algebra are not suitable for beginners. They are intended for readers who have already studied the fundamentals of commutative algebra and are looking for more challenging exercises to strengthen their understanding of the subject.

3. Can this book be used as a standalone resource for learning commutative algebra?

No, this book is meant to supplement the textbook "Commutative Algebra" by Zariski and Samuel. It does not provide comprehensive explanations or proofs, and therefore, it is not recommended to be used as a standalone resource for learning commutative algebra.

4. Are there solutions available for the problems in this book?

Yes, there is a separate book titled "Solutions to Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Algebra" that contains detailed solutions to all the problems in this book. It is recommended to use this book alongside the problems book to check your solutions and deepen your understanding of the concepts.

5. Can this book be used for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

Supplementary Problems for Zariski/Samuel's Commutative Algebra can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of the material presented in the textbook before attempting the problems in this book. The book can be used as a resource for independent study or for professors to assign additional exercises for their students.