1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supposly simple balistic motion prob

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    At what angle relative to the horizon should you throw a ball at V0=15 m/s (from the ground of course) in order for it to hit back the ground a distance of 21m away?

I found that 2θ=66.16+2∏k, and so θ=33.08+∏k, but the truth is that θ=56.92 is also a correct answer! How could I get this answer from the equations??

x(t)=Vocosθt
    y(t)=0 at hit so: 0=Vosinθt-0.5gt^2 ... t(impact) = 2V0sinθ/g or 0

back to x: 21=(2sinθcosθVo^2)/g = sin2θ*V0^2 / g and so sin2θ=21g/V0^2

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2
    This follows from sin x = sin (∏ - x).

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3
    wow you're right... so why do we say sin has a period of 2∏ if we can see that angles that are seperated less than 2∏ have the same value?

5. Feb 23, 2013 #4
    f(x) is said to be a-periodic if f(x) = f(x + a). For f(x) = sin x, this works when a = 2∏.

f(x) = f(a - x) is a different property, not periodicity.

6. Feb 23, 2013 #5
    ok so what is this property? where does it come from?

7. Feb 23, 2013 #6
    I am not sure whether it has a special name. You could say that it comes from the definition the sine function on the unit circle. Then it is obvious that the ordinate at some angle a equals the ordinate at (∏ - a).

Another way to see this is by using the identity sin (∏ - a) = sin ∏ cos a - cos ∏ sin a = sin a, because sin ∏ = 0, and cos ∏ = -1.

8. Feb 23, 2013 #7
    tnx a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook