Supremum of Union: Proving Sup(A)=SupiEI(Sup(A))

In summary: This proves the equation sup(A) = sup i∈I (sup(A_i)). In summary, we have shown that the supremum of the union of a set of subsets is equal to the supremum of the supremums of each individual subset.
CarmineCortez

Homework Statement

let Ai be a subset of the reals and i is element of I = (1,...,n)

now let A = UNION i is element of I Ai

show that sup(A) = supiEI(sup(A))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea of solving was taking the limits of both sides but I'm not sure what the limit of the union of A_i is

Physics news on Phys.org
. Another approach could be using the definition of supremum and proving that both sides are equal to the least upper bound of the set A.

To start, let's define the supremum of a set A as the least upper bound of the set, denoted as sup(A). This means that sup(A) is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in A.

Now, let's start with the left side of the equation: sup(A). By definition, this is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in A. Since A is the union of all sets A_i, this means that sup(A) must also be greater than or equal to all elements in each A_i. In other words, for every element x in A_i, we have sup(A) ≥ x. This is true for all i, since i ranges from 1 to n. Therefore, we can say that sup(A) ≥ sup(A_i) for all i.

Now, let's look at the right side of the equation: sup i∈I (sup(A_i)). Here, we are taking the supremum of each individual set A_i, and then taking the supremum of those values. This means that for each A_i, we have a value that is greater than or equal to all elements in A_i. Therefore, sup(A_i) is an upper bound for A_i, and since i ranges from 1 to n, sup i∈I (sup(A_i)) is an upper bound for all A_i.

Since sup(A) is the least upper bound of A, and sup i∈I (sup(A_i)) is an upper bound for A, we can conclude that sup(A) ≤ sup i∈I (sup(A_i)). This is true for all i, so we can also say that sup(A) ≤ sup(A_i) for all i. Therefore, we have shown that sup(A) is both greater than or equal to all sup(A_i) and less than or equal to all sup(A_i), which means that sup(A) = sup i∈I (sup(A_i)).

1. What is the definition of Supremum of Union?

The Supremum of Union is the least upper bound of a set of numbers that is formed by taking the union of multiple sets. In other words, it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the combined set.

2. Why is it important to prove that Sup(A) = Supi∈I(Sup(A))?

Proving this equality is important because it allows us to simplify our calculations and make deductions about the Supremum of Union. It also helps to establish the relationship between the Supremum of a set and the Supremum of its subsets.

3. What is the process for proving Sup(A) = Supi∈I(Sup(A))?

The proof typically involves showing that the Supremum of Union, which is the least upper bound, satisfies the same properties as the Supremum of a set. This includes showing that it is an upper bound and is the smallest of all upper bounds.

4. Are there any special cases where the equality does not hold?

Yes, there are certain cases where the equality does not hold. One example is when the sets in the union are disjoint, meaning they have no common elements. In this case, the Supremum of Union will be the sum of the Supremum of each individual set, rather than the Supremum of the Supremum of the individual sets.

5. How is the Supremum of Union used in real-world applications?

The Supremum of Union is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and optimization to determine the best possible outcome from a set of options. It is also used in mathematics to prove the existence of a solution to certain problems and to establish important theorems.