1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area of a cone

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is to derive the surface area of a cone.

2. Relevant equations
    slant= square root ( r^2 + h^2)
    surface area= int int [square root(fx^2 + fy^2 +1) da]
    surface area of cone side= pi *r(r^2+h^2)
    3d cone formula: z= h/r(squareroot x^2+y^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    by looking at the structure I know that it is the area of the base (circle) + the area of the slant/side, but when I solve for the surface area using double integrals I'm stuck w/ squareroot 2 in the formula. How can I cancel that out?

i calculated fx as hx/rsqareroot(x^2+y^2)
    and fy as hy/rsquareroot(x^2+y^2)

i plugged that into the formula for surface area and got: int int [h/r squareroot(2)] r dr d@
    it feels like it isn't right and I don't know how to cancel the sqareroot(2) during integration. Can someone hint me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fx and fy look ok. But when I compute sqrt(1+(fx)^2+(fy)^2) I don't get what you got for the integrand (in particular, no sqrt(2)). Can you tell us how you got that?

4. May 16, 2008 #3
    sure:
    int int squareroot [(hx/rsquareroot(x^2+y^2))^2 + (hy/rsquareroot(x^2+y^2))^2 + 1] da
    int int squareroot [(h^2*x^2/r^2 (x^2+y^2)) + (h^2*y^2/r^2(x^2+y^2)) + 1] da
    int int squareroot [(h^2/r^2) x^2/(x^2+y^2) + y^2/(x^2+y^2) +1] da
    the +1 should change into: (x^2+y^2)/(x^2+y^2)
    int int squareroot [h^2/r^2 (x^2+ y^2/(x^2+y^2)) + x^2+y^2/(x^2+y^2)] da
    int int h/r squareroot(2) r dr d@

does it look right? :/ theres probablt something big that I'm missing but its so hard to see

5. May 16, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't putting enough parentheses in and you are loosing track of what multiplies what.
    In this step:
    int int squareroot [(h^2/r^2) x^2/(x^2+y^2) + y^2/(x^2+y^2) +1] da
    the h^2/r^2 only multiplies the first two terms, not the 1. Combine them first and multiply by h^2/r^2. Then add the 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?