Surface Integral of quarter-cylinder help

In summary, the concept of multiplying the differential area by s in the surface integral over a quarter cylinder is to take into account the distance from the origin. This applies to both the "curved" outer surface and the bottom (and top) surface, where the differential area is multiplied by s to account for the arc length defined by s\phi.
misterpickle

Homework Statement

I am taking the surface integral over a quarter cylinder. Everything is fine and I can get the correct answer, it's just a conceptual problem that I need help with.

Homework Equations

The da for the "curved" outer surface is [tex]da=sd\phi dz\hat{s}[/tex]
The da for the bottom surface is [tex]da=sdsd\phi (-\hat{s})[/tex]

I understand why the curved da is multiplied by s, since we are integrating over a surface that is projected into 3-space by a distance s.

I do not understand why this s occurs in the da for the bottom (and top) surface. We integrate over a dynamic ds to find the surface integral for this piece...so why multiply the differential area by s?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionI think it is because we have to take into account the distance from the origin. The "ds" of the bottom surface is the arc length, which is defined by s\phi. So when we create a differential area, we must multiply it by s to take that distance into account.

FAQ: Surface Integral of quarter-cylinder help

1. What is a surface integral of a quarter-cylinder?

A surface integral of a quarter-cylinder is a mathematical technique used to calculate the surface area of a quarter-cylinder shape. It involves integrating a given function over the surface of the quarter-cylinder to find the total area.

2. How is a surface integral of a quarter-cylinder different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, while a surface integral of a quarter-cylinder calculates the area of a curved surface in a three-dimensional space. It involves integrating over a curved surface rather than a flat one.

3. What is the formula for calculating a surface integral of a quarter-cylinder?

The formula for a surface integral of a quarter-cylinder is ∫∫f(x,y,z)dS, where f(x,y,z) is the given function and dS is the differential of surface area.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals of quarter-cylinders?

Surface integrals of quarter-cylinders are commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the surface area of curved objects such as pipes, tanks, and containers. They are also used in computer graphics to model and render curved surfaces.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating a surface integral of a quarter-cylinder?

One challenge is setting up the integral correctly, as it involves finding the limits of integration and determining the orientation of the surface. Another challenge is dealing with complex functions or surfaces that cannot be easily represented in mathematical equations.