1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral of scalar function

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass of a spherical surface S of radius R such that at each point (x, y, z) in S the mass density is equal to the distance of (x, y, z) to some fixed point (x_0, y_0, z_0) in S.

2. Relevant equations
    Integral of a scalar function over a surface.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking about converting this into spherical coordinates, but I see no way of doing that nicely since the distance formula would get very messy. I am also assuming they are using the euclidean distance, since this is an intro multivariable course.

I don't need help evaluating, just with getting it set up.

This is from Vector Calculus, 5e. by Marsden and Tromba, 7.5 #9.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    It doesn't matter what the fixed point [tex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/tex] is, so you can make a choice that makes spherical coordinates less horrible.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    So basically, choose (x_0, y_0, z_0) to be 0, and using spherical coordinates, the distance is
    [tex]\sqrt{(2Rsin(\phi)cos(\theta))^2 + (2Rsin(\phi)sin(\theta))^2} + (2Rcos(\phi))^2}[/tex]
    = 2R.

So, [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int _0^\pi 2R*R^2sin(\phi) \, d\phi d\theta ?[/tex]

[tex] = 8\pi*R^3 [/tex]

Edit: The answer is supposed to be (16/3)Pi*R^3, so I lost a factor of 2/3 somewhere...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. Apr 15, 2010 #4
    Well, you probably shouldn't choose [tex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/tex] to be the origin if your sphere [tex]S[/tex] is centered at the origin. Read the question again; [tex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/tex] is supposed to lie on [tex]S[/tex].

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Make life easy for yourself and take [itex]\theta_0=\phi_0=0[/itex].

7. Apr 15, 2010 #6
    Wow, I made that way harder than it had to be. Thank you both, that was driving me nuts!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?