1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integrals: Flux of F across S

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the surface integral ∫∫S F · dS for the given vector field F and the oriented surface S. In other words, find the flux of F across S. For closed surfaces, use the positive (outward) orientation.

F(x, y, z) = xy i + yz j + zx k

S is the part of the paraboloid z = 3 - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] - y[tex]^{2}[/tex] that lies above the square 0 ≤ x ≤ 1, 0 ≤ y ≤ 1, and has upward orientation.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\int \int F\cdot dS = \int \int \left( -P \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} -Q \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} +R \right) dA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've gone over the examples in my calculus book two or three times now and I get confused about a couple things:

dA is r*dr*d[tex]\theta[/tex], and I replace the x's and y's with rcos[tex]\theta[/tex] and rsin[tex]\theta[/tex], respectively, and substituting z with the given equation, but I still get a wrong answer. Here's my attempt:

[tex]\int \int ( -y(-2x) -x(-2y) +3-x^{2}-y^{2})dA[/tex]

...and after substituting x and y and z for their polar coordinates and then simplifying, I get:

[tex]\int ^{\pi / 2}_{0} \int ^{1}_{0} (3+4r^{2}cos(\theta)sin(\theta)-r^{2})rdrd\theta[/tex]

I was kind of hoping this would get me the right answer, but it's not (I end up with [tex] \frac{5 \pi}{8} + \frac{1}{2}[/tex]), and I think it has to do with the r domain that I used, or perhaps my entire equation. In any case I'm not sure how to implement the square of length 1 in xy plane domain into my equation. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is your P(x,y)i + Q(x,y)j + R(x,y)k

This is your z = g(x,y)

Are your P(x,y), Q(x,y) and R(x,y) terms here correct?

Why in the world would you try polar coordinates at this point? The integrand is simple polynomial terms in x and y and you are integrating over a square.​

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook