How Do You Determine the Limits for Surface Integrals?

In summary: You have chosen u = x and v = y. This is just like a problem you posted earlier. Draw a picture of the slanted plane in the first octant and use the triangle in the xy plane for your limits.In summary, the student is trying to solve a linear equation in three variables. They are having trouble visualizing the domain and are looking for help. They have chosen a point and drawn a picture of the plane. They have also plotted the solutions and found the limits.
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

fbghnm.jpg

Homework Equations

∫∫D F((r(u,v))⋅(ru x rv) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

2zxpe0x.jpg
[/B]
I got stuck after finding the above, at where the double integrals are. :(

May I know how do I find the limits of this? (I always have trouble finding the limits to sub into the integrals. ><)

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You have chosen u = x and v = y. This is just like a problem you posted earlier. Draw a picture of the slanted plane in the first octant and use the triangle in the xy plane for your limits.

[Edit, added] One thing that may be causing you confusion is the use of ##u,v## parameters when they are unnecessary. You usually use those when there is a reason to change coordinate systems. In a problem like this, ##x## and ##y## are natural parameters and there is no need to use ##u## and ##v##. Just let ##x=x,~y=y,~z= 2-2x-y## and$$r(x,y)=\langle x,y,2-2x-y\rangle$$and look in the ##xy## plane for the limits.

Last edited:
Likes galaxy_twirl
LCKurtz said:
You have chosen u = x and v = y. This is just like a problem you posted earlier. Draw a picture of the slanted plane in the first octant and use the triangle in the xy plane for your limits.

[Edit, added] One thing that may be causing you confusion is the use of ##u,v## parameters when they are unnecessary. You usually use those when there is a reason to change coordinate systems. In a problem like this, ##x## and ##y## are natural parameters and there is no need to use ##u## and ##v##. Just let ##x=x,~y=y,~z= 2-2x-y## and$$r(x,y)=\langle x,y,2-2x-y\rangle$$and look in the ##xy## plane for the limits.

Oh dear! Haha. I didn't realize that this question is similar to the one I have asked earlier. I am currently focusing on past year papers as my Maths exam is just 2 days away. Sigh~ I find that I always have a problem visualising the domain... because I didn't know the domain was a triangle until you told me above and after doing some look-up on Google. >< Sheesh. :(

I will take note of what you have said and try again. :) I will post back here again!

galaxy_twirl said:
Oh dear! Haha. I didn't realize that this question is similar to the one I have asked earlier. I am currently focusing on past year papers as my Maths exam is just 2 days away. Sigh~ I find that I always have a problem visualising the domain... because I didn't know the domain was a triangle until you told me above and after doing some look-up on Google. >< Sheesh. :(

I will take note of what you have said and try again. :) I will post back here again!

A linear equation in three variables represents a plane.

The given equation ##z = 2 - 2x - y## is a plane. Another example would be ##x + y - z = 1 \Rightarrow z = x + y - 1##.

If you want to have an easier time visualizing, then you can easily solve for the intersections. Consider the points ##(x, 0, 0), (0, y, 0), (0, 0, z)## for the plane equation in your problem.

Choosing the point ##(x, 0, 0)##, you would get ##z = 2 - 2x - y \Rightarrow x = 1##. In a similar fashion you would get ##y = 2## and ##z = 2##. Plotting these solutions on a 3D graph and connecting the dots will give you a nice visual of the plane.

This will also help you visualize the projection of the plane onto the x-y plane. Drawing this projection in the x-y plane will give you your limits for integrals.

Likes galaxy_twirl
LCKurtz said:

I see. Thank you. My teacher changes them to r(u,v) for the chapter of surface integrals, hence I would always change it to r(u,v), though I don't know why my teacher uses the u,v coordinate system. I think I should ask him some day. Haha.

Ah yes, I got the triangle in the xy-plane as shown below:

2ypj2m9.jpg

Just wondering, how can I be very sure that I have placed the limits on my ∫ ∫ correctly? My integral equation is below:

2n19lxc.jpg

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
A linear equation in three variables represents a plane.

The given equation ##z = 2 - 2x - y## is a plane. Another example would be ##x + y - z = 1 \Rightarrow z = x + y - 1##.

If you want to have an easier time visualizing, then you can easily solve for the intersections. Consider the points ##(x, 0, 0), (0, y, 0), (0, 0, z)## for the plane equation in your problem.

Choosing the point ##(x, 0, 0)##, you would get ##z = 2 - 2x - y \Rightarrow x = 1##. In a similar fashion you would get ##y = 2## and ##z = 2##. Plotting these solutions on a 3D graph and connecting the dots will give you a nice visual of the plane.

This will also help you visualize the projection of the plane onto the x-y plane. Drawing this projection in the x-y plane will give you your limits for integrals.

Thanks, Zondrina! Your method is really effective! :DI think I can now at least find the intersection points of the lines on the x-y-z axes, though I feel it can be quite difficult to plot/sketch/draw a 3D figure on a 2D piece of paper.

galaxy_twirl said:
I see. Thank you. My teacher changes them to r(u,v) for the chapter of surface integrals, hence I would always change it to r(u,v), though I don't know why my teacher uses the u,v coordinate system. I think I should ask him some day. Haha.

Ah yes, I got the triangle in the xy-plane as shown below:

2ypj2m9.jpg

Just wondering, how can I be very sure that I have placed the limits on my ∫ ∫ correctly? My integral equation is below:

2n19lxc.jpg

Your limits are OK but I think you have u and v exchanged in the integrand. Another reason not to use u and v unnecessarily.

I tried integrating the above and I got the same answer as my teacher, who did it in another way:

2iu3rb6.jpg

Hence, I think both methods work (or is this my method a 'fluke'? Haha.) Thanks. :)

galaxy_twirl said:
I tried integrating the above

No you didn't. In post #7 you wrote the integrand as ##u-v+2##, which has the ##u## and ##v## switched as I said. Below you have the correct integrand.

I got the same answer as my teacher, who did it in another way:

2iu3rb6.jpg

Hence, I think both methods work (or is this my method a 'fluke'? Haha.) Thanks. :)

LCKurtz said:
No you didn't. In post #7 you wrote the integrand as ##u-v+2##, which has the ##u## and ##v## switched as I said. Below you have the correct integrand.

I see. Haha. I think I misinterpreted your intended message. Sorry. Thanks for all your help! :D

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It involves breaking up the surface into small pieces and summing the contributions from each piece.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a surface integral is used to find the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. In other words, a regular integral is calculated in one dimension while a surface integral is calculated in two dimensions.

3. What are some applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, finding the work done by a force on a surface, and finding the mass or charge distribution over a surface.

4. How do you set up a surface integral?

To set up a surface integral, you need to first define the surface over which you want to integrate. Then, you need to choose a parametrization of the surface, which involves breaking it into small pieces and assigning each piece a set of two parameters. Finally, you need to determine the limits of integration for each parameter and set up the integral accordingly.

5. What are some common challenges when solving surface integrals?

Some common challenges when solving surface integrals include choosing an appropriate parametrization for the surface, determining the limits of integration, and evaluating the integral itself. It is important to carefully visualize and understand the geometry of the surface to accurately set up and solve the integral.