Maximum Floating Needle Diameter Calculation

I have made the necessary corrections. In summary, the maximum diameter of a needle that can float on water with a surface tension of 0.073 N/m and a density of 7.8x10^3 kg/m^3 is 0.78 mm. The weight of the needle is not needed to solve this problem, as it is due to surface tension. The formula used is r = sqrt((2\sigma cos\theta)/(\rho g \pi)).
hcho88

Homework Statement

First part of the question was "Why is it possible to float a wax-coated stainless steel needle on the surface of water?" and I've already answered that, but I'm having trouble with the second part of the question, which is:

If the surface tension at the interface is 0.073 N/m and the density of the steel needle is 7.8x10^3 kg/m^3, what is the maximum diameter of a needle that can float this way? (Hint: start by finding the weight of the needle. You may assume that the needle is cylindrical in cross-section)

Homework Equations

Density = mass / volume
h = (2[tex]\sigma[/tex]cos[tex]\Psi[/tex]) / ([tex]\rho[/tex]g[tex]\alpha[/tex])
V of needle = width x (2[tex]\Pi[/tex]r^2)
I'm actually not too sure which equations I need...

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = 0.073N/m
[tex]\rho[/tex] of stainless steel needle = 7.8x10^3 kg/m^3
Well it says to start by finding the weight of the needle, and I wasn't sure how to approach that in the first place, so I wasn't able to make a start.

Physics news on Phys.org
hikaru1221 said:
Have a look at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension#Basic_physics See the first picture and you may know what's next to do :wink:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = 0
-W + ([tex]\sigma[/tex]L)cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] + ([tex]\sigma[/tex]L)cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 0
W = 2([tex]\sigma[/tex]L)cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
W = 2 x 0.073 x L x 1
W = 0.146L N

Is this correct?
I have absolutely no idea what to do next.
Just guessing, please correct me if I'm wrong...
Mass of needle = 0.146L/9.8 kg
Volume of needle = ([tex]\Pi[/tex]r^2)*L
Volume of needle = 1/([tex]\rho[/tex]m) = 1/(7.8x10^3 x 0.015L) = 8.61x10^-3L m^3
So 8.61x10^-3L = ([tex]\Pi[/tex]r^2)*L
8.61x10^-3 = [tex]\Pi[/tex]r^2
r = 0.05 m

I've found a radius of some sort, but I don't think it's right.
The question says I need to find the maximum diameter of a needle that can float.
How do I find this?

Last edited:
Hold on...
I have another theory! Please tell me which one is wrong or right or both are wrong! :S
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = 0
-W + ([tex]\sigma[/tex]Lcos[tex]\theta[/tex]) + ([tex]\sigma[/tex]Lcos[tex]\theta[/tex]) = 0
W = 2([tex]\sigma[/tex]L)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
W = 2 x 0.073 x L x 1
W = 0.146L N

And using another formula:
P = (2[tex]\sigma[/tex]) / r
P = 101325 Pa
So, r = (2 x 0.073) / 101325
r = 1.44x10^-6 m

Or is this formula only used for bubbles?

anyway, my other answer to this problem being
d=2r
d=2.88x10^-6m

Please tell me where I went wrong and how I should tackle this problem to solve it.
Please give me directions!
Thank you!

[tex]8.61\times 10^-3L = \pi r^2L[/tex]
You have gone this far and there is just one more minor step to the result :wink: L is canceled as it appears in both sides, so there is only 1 unknown left :biggrin: By the way, please check your numerical values, because I'm too lazy to check them :biggrin:

P = (2LaTeX Code: \\sigma ) / r
P = 101325 Pa
So, r = (2 x 0.073) / 101325
r = 1.44x10^-6 m
So there is no need for the weight, right? :yuck:
The effect is due to surface tension, not ambient pressure.

EDIT: I've just read again your post and found you made some corrections. You were on the right track at post #3. Now I'll organize it a bit:
[tex]W=2\sigma Lcos\theta[/tex]
[tex]\rho g \pi r^2L=2\sigma Lcos\theta[/tex]
[tex]r=\sqrt{\frac{2\sigma cos\theta}{\rho g \pi}}[/tex]
As you can see, r is max when cos(theta) is max, and max of cos(theta) is 1. You will find that [tex]r_{max} = 0.78mm[/tex], not so large as 0.05m that you got earlier.

Last edited:
Thank you

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that describes the tendency of the surface of a liquid to resist an external force. It is caused by the cohesive forces between the liquid molecules at the surface.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm). It can be measured using a tensiometer, which measures the force required to pull a wire or ring from the surface of a liquid.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by temperature, type of liquid, and presence of other substances. Generally, surface tension decreases with increasing temperature and with the addition of surfactants or other substances that disrupt the cohesive forces between molecules.

4. How does surface tension affect the behavior of liquids?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many everyday phenomena, such as the ability of insects to walk on water, the formation of droplets, and the capillary action that allows plants to transport water from their roots to their leaves. It also impacts the behavior of liquids in industrial processes, such as coating, painting, and cleaning.

5. Can surface tension be changed or manipulated?

Yes, surface tension can be changed or manipulated through the addition of substances that lower or increase it, such as surfactants or polymers. These changes in surface tension can have practical applications in industries such as food, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.