Surface Tenstion in Water (Needle resting on water)

In summary, surface tension can support a needle with a diameter of 0.25mm, as shown by the calculation of surface tension force being greater than the force due to gravity. The maximum diameter that can be supported by surface tension, given the density of steel, surface tension of water, and acceleration due to gravity, is approximately 0.77mm.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A needle can be supported by the suface tension of water.

Given the density of steel (7900kg/m^3) a needle with diameter 0.25mm, the surface tension of water (0.072 N/m) and acceleration due to gravity (9.8) show that this is reasonable.

What is the largest diameter needle that could be supported by the surface tension.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\gamma=\frac{F}{L} \\
\gamma L = mg \\
2 \gamma l = mg
[/tex]
That last equation is for the largest possible mass

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have done.
[tex]
\gamma L = mg \\
0.072 × 2.5 × 10^{-4} = 9.8m \\
1.8×10^{-5}=9.8m
[/tex]
But if I carry that through I get some crazy huge number for the mass which cannot be correct. I suspect that L is not the diameter of the needle but the true length but without that given I don't know how to find it. I know what to do or rather how to use all the values given apart from the density of steel so maybe that is relevant to my first issue but not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
The length affects both the surface tension force and the mass of the needle so the length should cancel...

Tension force = 2γ * length
Mass = density * area * length

So the force eqn is..

2γ * length = density * area * length * g

Length cancel.

CWatters said:
The length affects both the surface tension force and the mass of the needle so the length should cancel...

Tension force = 2γ * length
Mass = density * area * length

So the force eqn is..

2γ * length = density * area * length * g

Length cancel.

OK thanks. So is it always 2yL or only in the case when its the largest possible mass?

If I follow that through, I get confused, see if what I am doing is on the right path or not as its not working out (but I think it is not supposed to - I am not sure)

[tex]
2\gamma L=\rho ALg \\
2\gamma=\rho Ag \\
2×0.072=7900×g×A \\
0.144=77420A \\
A=\frac{0.144}{77420}=1.86×10^{-6}
\\
\\
A=\pi r^2 \\
r=\sqrt{\frac{A}{\pi}}\\
r=\sqrt{\frac{1.86×10^{-6}}{\pi}}=7.69× 10^{-4}m = 0.77mm
[/tex]

And the diameter would be 1.54mm when it is only supposed to be 0.25mm.

I am really confused.

It looks like a two part question to me..

1) Show that surface tension can support a needle of diameter 0.25mm (eg show surface tension is greater than force due to gravity for that size).
2) Then calculate the maximum diameter that can be supported.

1. What is surface tension in water and how is it measured?

Surface tension in water is the force that causes the surface of water to behave like an elastic membrane. It is measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter. Surface tension can be measured by using a tensiometer, which is a device that measures the force required to pull a wire or plate out of the water's surface.

2. How does surface tension affect a needle resting on water?

Surface tension in water allows a needle or other small object to float on top of the water without sinking. This is because the surface tension pulls the water molecules together, creating a kind of "skin" on the surface that supports the needle's weight.

3. What factors can affect the surface tension of water?

The surface tension of water can be affected by temperature, impurities, and dissolved substances. Higher temperatures tend to decrease surface tension, while impurities and dissolved substances can either increase or decrease surface tension depending on their chemical properties.

4. How does surface tension in water play a role in nature and everyday life?

Surface tension in water plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the formation of raindrops, the movement of water in plants, and the behaviors of insects like water striders that can walk on water. In everyday life, surface tension is also important in activities like washing dishes or filling a glass to the brim without spilling.

5. Can surface tension in water be changed or manipulated?

Yes, surface tension in water can be changed or manipulated through various methods. For example, adding soap or detergent reduces the surface tension of water, which allows it to spread more easily and form bubbles. Additionally, surface tension can be affected by external forces, such as wind or vibrations, which can disrupt the surface and lower the tension.