Comparing Large & Small Bodies Using Gravity & Surface Tension

In summary, the conversation revolves around differentiating between large and small scales, and using gravity and surface tension to do so. There is also discussion about the complexity of physics and how the concept of "large" and "small" can be subjective.
nard
Can somebody tell me how to differentiate a large scale to a small scale? I want to know what he/she is based on. What if you had to compare the scale of large and small bodies using gravity and surface tension, what would be your first move?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bond number? I don't really understand your question.

I didn't refer to the bond number in my post. Suppose u have the surface tension of water maybe at normal temperature, and u are to use it to find a scale that separates large to small bodies, for you to do that u first have to know what a large scale and a small scale body is and then proceed.

I don't think physics is as simple as "smaller than 5 meters you use these equations, and bigger then 5 meters, you use these other equations". The equations typically require you to know the actual volume or radius or mass of the object. With that said, near atomic scales, quantum theory is used, and near the speed of light, Einstein's relativity is used, otherwise classical physics usually does just fine.

When i saw this question i realized that if someone asked me what a large and small body is, i wouldn't have a specific answer. I just think that large and small depend on a reference you have given yourself.

What is the concept of gravity and how does it affect large and small bodies?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. On large bodies such as planets, gravity is stronger due to their larger mass, while on small bodies such as asteroids, gravity is weaker.

How does surface tension differ between large and small bodies?

Surface tension is a property of liquids that causes the surface of the liquid to behave like a thin elastic membrane. On large bodies of water, such as oceans, the surface tension is relatively low due to the constant motion of the water. On smaller bodies of water, such as lakes or ponds, the surface tension is higher due to the lack of movement.

What is the significance of comparing large and small bodies using gravity and surface tension?

Comparing large and small bodies using gravity and surface tension allows us to better understand the differences in physical properties between these bodies. It also helps us to understand how these properties affect the behavior and formation of these bodies in our universe.

How do scientists measure the effects of gravity and surface tension on large and small bodies?

Scientists use various methods to measure the effects of gravity and surface tension on large and small bodies. For gravity, they use instruments such as gravimeters and accelerometers, while for surface tension, they use techniques such as capillary action and contact angle measurements.

What are some real-world applications of studying large and small bodies using gravity and surface tension?

Studying large and small bodies using gravity and surface tension has various real-world applications. For example, understanding the surface tension of water can help in the design of boats and submarines. The study of gravity on large bodies such as planets is crucial for space exploration and understanding the formation of our solar system.