Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface tension

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Can somebody tell me how to differentiate a large scale to a small scale? I want to know what he/she is based on. What if you had to compare the scale of large and small bodies using gravity and surface tension, what would be your first move?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Bond number? I don't really understand your question.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    I didn't refer to the bond number in my post. Suppose u have the surface tension of water maybe at normal temperature, and u are to use it to find a scale that separates large to small bodies, for you to do that u first have to know what a large scale and a small scale body is and then proceed.

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4
    I don't think physics is as simple as "smaller than 5 meters you use these equations, and bigger then 5 meters, you use these other equations". The equations typically require you to know the actual volume or radius or mass of the object. With that said, near atomic scales, quantum theory is used, and near the speed of light, Einstein's relativity is used, otherwise classical physics usually does just fine.

6. Aug 31, 2011 #5
    When i saw this question i realized that if someone asked me what a large and small body is, i wouldn't have a specific answer. I just think that large and small depend on a reference you have given yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook