Surfaces of 3 Variable Question

In summary, to find the function g(x, y, z) for a cone with its base on the xz-plane and its vertex on the positive y-axis, you can use the formula x^2+y^2-z^2 and adjust it by interchanging variables and shifting the vertex to (0,I,0).
stratusfactio

Homework Statement

A cone C, with height I and radius I, has its base in
the xz-plane and its vertex on the positive y-axis. Find a
function g(x, y, z) such that C is part of the level surface
g(x, y, z) = 0.

Homework Equations

What would be the formula for the cone such that the base of the cone is lying on the xz-plane and the vertex is on the y-axis?

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the formula for a cone is [tex]x^2+y^2-z^2[/tex], but we don't know where to go from there to get the formula for the description above.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
x^2+y^2-z^2 has it's vertex at (0,0,0) and it's axis along the z axis. Your cone has it's vertex at (0,I,0) and axis along the y axis. You'll need to interchange some variables to get the axis right and then shift the vertex up to (0,I,0). Sketch some graphs.

What is the definition of a surface of 3 variable?

A surface of 3 variable, also known as a 3-dimensional surface, is a mathematical concept that describes a geometric shape in 3-dimensional space. It is defined by three independent variables, usually denoted by x, y, and z, and is typically represented by an equation in the form of z = f(x,y).

How do you graph a surface of 3 variable?

To graph a surface of 3 variable, you can use a variety of techniques such as plotting points, creating a contour plot, or using a computer program. The most common method is to use a 3D graphing calculator or software, which allows you to input the equation for the surface and generate a visual representation of it.

What are some real-life examples of surfaces of 3 variable?

Surfaces of 3 variable can be found in many real-life situations, such as the surface of a sphere, a hill or mountain, a water wave, or the shape of a car. They are also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to model and analyze complex systems.

What is the significance of surfaces of 3 variable in mathematics?

Surfaces of 3 variable are an important concept in mathematics because they represent a bridge between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional space. They allow mathematicians to study and analyze more complex geometric shapes and functions, making them a fundamental tool in fields such as calculus, geometry, and topology.

How are surfaces of 3 variable related to other mathematical concepts?

Surfaces of 3 variable are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as vectors, curves, and gradients. They are also related to the concept of a function, as they can be described by an equation in terms of their independent variables. Additionally, surfaces of 3 variable have connections to fields such as differential equations, optimization, and computer graphics.