Survey text on aerospace engineering

In summary, Jeff is looking for a survey text on aerospace engineering and has found a book on Amazon.com, but there are no reviews posted. He is also open to recommendations for similar texts with similar information. When asked for clarification on what he means by "survey text," Jeff explains that he wants an introductory text that covers the main topics of an undergraduate program in aerospace engineering and gives an overview of the field. Another person recommends the book "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson, which they found helpful in their aerodynamics class. Jeff expresses his gratitude for the recommendation.
Jeff Ford
I'm looking for a good survey text on aerospace engineering. I found this on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071362290/?tag=pfamazon01-20 but there are no reviews posted. If anyone could recommend this text, or perhaps something with similar information I'd be appreciative.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just so we know what exactly it is you are looking for...

When you say "survey text" do you mean an introductory text that touches on the high points of an area with some details so you can get a flavor of the topic? If it is, then a handbook like the one you listed is not going to be very informative for you. It will simply amass a whole lot of information that one is assumed to already be familiar with. It is a reference, not a teaching text.

Yes, I am looking for something that gives and overview of the topics commonly taught in an undergraduate program on Aerospace Engineering. Something that will give me a good idea of the topics covered in an aerospace program and the kinds of work aerospace engineers do.

Introduction to Flight by John D. Anderson

This book was taught in my Sophomore Introduction to Aerodynamics class and is one of the best written books on the subject out there.

Looks great! Thanks!

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It encompasses a wide range of disciplines such as aerodynamics, materials science, propulsion systems, avionics, and structural analysis.

2. What are the main applications of aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering has various applications, including the design and construction of commercial and military aircraft, satellites, rockets, and spacecraft. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies for the aviation and aerospace industries.

3. What skills are required to become an aerospace engineer?

To become an aerospace engineer, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also necessary for working in multidisciplinary teams.

4. What are the current challenges in aerospace engineering?

One of the main challenges in aerospace engineering is designing more efficient and sustainable aircraft and spacecraft. This includes developing new propulsion systems, lightweight materials, and reducing carbon emissions. Another challenge is ensuring the safety and reliability of aerospace systems.

5. What are some recent advancements in aerospace engineering?

Recent advancements in aerospace engineering include the development of reusable rockets, electric propulsion systems, and advanced materials for aircraft and spacecraft. There has also been progress in autonomous flight systems and research on supersonic and hypersonic aircraft.