Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Susbcription options still not workin right

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have checked multiple times that I have e-mail notifications turned off. However, since yesterday, I keep getting them. It is quite annoying.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"No email notification" will stop notifications for anything subsequently added to your subscription list, but won't affect anything already on that list. You may need to manually turn off notification for individual threads on that list (https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks DrGreg, sorry guys :(

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't be sorry. PF is screaming fast. Thanks for making it so.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    To make sure, go to https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions [Broken]

and check this choice box

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/subscribe.jpg [Broken]

you'll find that it was inadvertently set to "instant e-mail notification", just change it back to "do not subscribe"

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did that right away and it did not solve the problem. Dr. Greg's answer was the issue - threads subscribed during the period when the setting was globally forced 'wrong' for everyone retain that thread setting and have to be changed individually. Once I did that, all is well.

8. Oct 29, 2012 #7
    I have the same problem as PAllen with the particularity that it doesn't let me unsubscribe manually with the links provided in the e-mails, it gives me invalid messages from PF.
    Can this be solved? It is really inconvenient. Thanks

9. Oct 29, 2012 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Go to "My PF" (upper left in the top links bar)

scroll down to "Subscribed Threads"

Go into "List subscriptions"

There you will find a list of all of the threads you were accidently subscribed to. Under each thread you will see "unsubscribe". Click this and the thread will disappear".

Hopefully this will stop the e-mails.

10. Oct 29, 2012 #9

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then, after this, you can re-subscribe if desired, getting to choose the no-email notification option. I wanted subscription without notification. For the two threads I was active on during the problem period, after setting my global notification option, I had to do the above on those two threads.

11. Oct 29, 2012 #10
    Thanks Evo, that's the first thing I tried.
    I'll see if doing what PAllen says-subscribing again and then setting emails off- it works.

12. Oct 29, 2012 #11
    Oops, I forgot how does one subscribe to a thread?

13. Oct 29, 2012 #12
    Nevermind I found out.

14. Oct 29, 2012 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's step 1. Step 2 is to scroll to the bottom of the window and click the "Save changes" button. Do not omit step 2. Don't just select "do not subscribe" and then close the window, thinking "done". You are not "done". You haven't done anything. I found this out the hard way after getting a bunch more notifications in my email after I thought I was done.

15. Oct 29, 2012 #14
    Sorry, my bad, I should have thought about that. unfortunately, what seems so obvious to some is not obvious at all to others. Correct communication is much harder than it seems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook