Switch on a transformer but with no load connected

In summary: EE, responds:In summary, voltage transformers are used to step up or step down the voltage from a mains power source. They can be used to power a variety of devices, but should not be used with an automotive alternator. Because the output frequency of a wind turbine alternator varies, you cannot use a voltage transformer to power it.
jxlee
If i switch on a transformer but with no load connected to the secondary path.Is the transformer will burn?

Engineering news on Phys.org

No. If the voltage is the same as the transformer normally gets, it should run cooler than if it had a load on the secondary.

A transformer without a load on the secondary is just an inductance. So, the current in this is determined by the supply voltage, the frequency and the inductance and resistance of the primary winding.

Many appliances switch power in the secondary circuit so that the primary is always connected to the mains. This does waste some power (compared with turning off the primary) and it also leaves the primary vulnerable to mains voltage surges.

Yes, if it is a current transformer.
NO, if it is a voltage transformer.
Please inform me if you need more explanation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

If you are unfamiliar with transformers, I recommend that you do your learning and experimentation with low voltages, like 24V ac. Please do not work with 115V ac until you acquire sufficient education/experience. One mistake could be the last. I've been an EE for 32 yrs., and I never work on 115V ac alone in the lab. I always use one hand when handling hazardous voltages.

Please heed my advice. The ac power mains are not to be taken lightly.

Claude

I am trying to get help with rewiring an alternator for wind power generation is there any help here?

Here is a site that built an alternator for a wind turbine.
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/4/4/214533/4539
Voltage transformers are for a specific frequency. The output frequency of a wind turbine alternator varies all over the place, so don't try to use a transformer. Automotive alternators have a wound rotor with radial field lines, and the stator coil is outside the rotor. The rotor has slip rings for regulating the current. Thw wind turbine alternators have permanent magnet rotors with an axial field, and cannot be regulated. I hope this helps.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What happens when you switch on a transformer with no load connected?

When a transformer is switched on with no load connected, the primary winding will draw a small amount of current from the source due to the magnetizing current. However, since there is no load connected, there will be no current flow in the secondary winding. As a result, there will be no output voltage from the transformer.

2. Can switching on a transformer with no load connected cause damage?

No, switching on a transformer with no load connected will not cause any damage as long as the transformer is designed to handle the initial inrush current. The inrush current is the initial surge of current that flows through the transformer when it is first switched on.

3. Why is it important to not switch on a transformer with no load connected for an extended period of time?

If a transformer is left switched on with no load connected for an extended period of time, the primary winding will continue to draw magnetizing current, which can lead to overheating and damage to the transformer. It is important to connect a load to the transformer as soon as possible to prevent this from happening.

4. How does switching on a transformer with no load connected affect its energy efficiency?

When a transformer is switched on with no load connected, it will still draw a small amount of current from the source. This means that the transformer will consume some energy, even though there is no output. This decreases the overall energy efficiency of the transformer.

5. What is the purpose of switching on a transformer with no load connected?

The purpose of switching on a transformer with no load connected is to test its performance and to ensure that it is functioning properly. It can also be used to measure the no-load current, which is an important parameter for determining the transformer's efficiency and power losses.