1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching circuit for switched reluctance motor

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to design a switching circuit for a switched reluctance motor. Does this look like it will work. Any changes to me made?

The components are:

Open collector - 74LS06N
    IGBT - stgp6nc60hd
    Optocoupler - TLP 251

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The general circuit layout looks reasonable.

How did you select the 350 Ω resistance for the TLP's LED? Is 350 Ω a standard resistor value that you can source, or will you have to build it up from multiple parts? Could you have chosen an easily available single standard resistance and still satisfy the TLP's operating requirements? What calculations might you do to check? What are the relevant data values from the datasheet?

Check the TLP datasheet schematic on page 1. Are you missing any required external components?

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3
    When you say am I missing any required external components, are you talking about the capacitor that needs to be connected between pins 8 and 5?

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4

gneill

Yes.

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    other than that, everything else looks fine?

i calculated the 350 ohm resistor by doing 5 volts - 1.8 (Vf) = 3.2 and then I did 3.2/10mA = 320 ohm. is this correct?

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6

gneill

Yes, I think it should okay.
    It would probably be okay and not cause any issues, but I'd probably use the "typical" values for VF and IF to find a resistance value, then choose the nearest standard value resistor. Best to "round upwards" if the calculated value lies near the middle of two standard values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted