Symmetric difference problem (Real Analysis)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that asks to draw a Venn diagram and prove the definition of set D. The steps involved in solving the problem are outlined, including the importance of understanding the definitions and breaking down the problem into basic steps. The conversation also addresses some mistakes made in the solution attempt and emphasizes the importance of taking care of the details.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

What am I asked to do in the problem? Am I just asked to draw a diagram or to prove a) and b)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a Venn diagram with sets A and B. Shade in the area "that belongs to either A or B, but not both."

Then, I'd say just make sure you first know exactly what (a) means, i.e., what is A\B and B\A. You should easily be able to see that the definition of D in (a) is the same as the more intuitive definition "either A or B, but not both."

Finally, you should write a quick formal proof that shows the definition in (a) is the same as that in (b).
i.e, prove that (A \ B) U (B \ A) = (A U B) \ (A [tex] \cap [/tex] B).

Since you're new to all of this, don't skip steps. Take care of the details!

Thank you...

Based on your suggestions...I tried...Where is my mistake?

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 382
hehe, first of all, you have A/B instead of A\B.
Secondly, your second line is utterly meaningless. The union operation "U" is only defined on sets, not on boolean statements such as "x is element of A\B."
Thirdly, [tex] x \in A \backslash x \in B [/tex] is also utterly meaningless. The relative complement operation "\" is defined only on sets.

Since you are new to all this, break this down to the very basics.
[tex] x \in (A \backslash B) \cup (B \backslash A). [/tex]
[tex] x \in (A \backslash B) \vee x \in (B \backslash A). [/tex]
[tex] (x \in A \wedge x \notin B) \vee (x \in B \wedge x \notin A). [/tex]

Try completing from there. Step-by-step! I know a lot of it seems like just grunt work, but it's a very important fundamental approach :P!

1. What is the definition of symmetric difference?

The symmetric difference of two sets A and B, denoted by A △ B, is the set of all elements that are in either A or B, but not in both. In other words, it is the set of elements that are in one set or the other, but not in both.

2. How is symmetric difference different from other set operations?

Symmetric difference is different from other set operations, such as union and intersection, because it only includes elements that are in one set or the other, but not both. This means that elements that are in both sets will not be included in the symmetric difference.

3. What is the significance of symmetric difference in real analysis?

In real analysis, symmetric difference is used to define the boundary of a set. The boundary of a set is the set of points that are in the closure of the set but not in the interior of the set. This is an important concept in topology and is used to define other important concepts such as open and closed sets.

4. Can symmetric difference be extended to more than two sets?

Yes, symmetric difference can be extended to more than two sets. The symmetric difference of three sets A, B, and C is denoted by A △ B △ C and is defined as the set of all elements that are in exactly one of the three sets, but not in any of the others.

5. How is symmetric difference related to the symmetric difference problem in real analysis?

The symmetric difference problem in real analysis is a problem that involves finding the smallest set of positive measure that contains a given set and its symmetric difference with itself. This problem is related to the concept of symmetric difference as it involves finding the set of elements that are in the given set or its symmetric difference but not both. It is a challenging problem that has applications in measure theory and topology.