What is the Tensorial Property of Symmetry for Covariant Second Rank Tensors?

In summary, a symmetric tensor is a type of tensor with the property of symmetry, meaning its components remain unchanged when interchanged. It is used in various areas of physics, can be decomposed into other tensors, and is closely related to symmetric matrices. Its main properties include invariance under coordinate transformations, real eigenvalues, and the ability to be diagonalized by an orthogonal transformation. It also has a specific number of independent components based on its rank.
greenclouds
How can I explain that the fact that a covariant second rank tensor is symmetric in
one coordinate system is a tensorial property. This is for my GR course, but I didn't do a Tensor Calculus before.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to start with the equation that describes how such a tensor transforms under a change of coordinates.

Related to What is the Tensorial Property of Symmetry for Covariant Second Rank Tensors?

1. What is a symmetric tensor?

A symmetric tensor is a type of tensor that has the property of symmetry, meaning that it remains unchanged when its components are interchanged. This means that for a symmetric tensor T, Tij = Tji for all i and j.

2. What are the properties of symmetric tensors?

The main properties of symmetric tensors include the fact that they are invariant under coordinate transformations, they have real eigenvalues, and they can be diagonalized by an orthogonal transformation. Additionally, the number of independent components in a symmetric tensor of rank n is equal to (n+1)(n+2)/2.

3. How are symmetric tensors used in physics?

Symmetric tensors are used in various areas of physics, including mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. They are particularly useful in describing the stress and strain tensors in solid mechanics, and the stress-energy tensor in general relativity.

4. Can a symmetric tensor be decomposed into other tensors?

Yes, any symmetric tensor can be decomposed into a sum of a symmetric traceless tensor and a multiple of the identity tensor. This is known as the polar decomposition of a symmetric tensor.

5. How are symmetric tensors related to symmetric matrices?

Symmetric tensors and symmetric matrices are closely related, as a symmetric tensor can be represented by a symmetric matrix and vice versa. However, while symmetric tensors have more general transformations, symmetric matrices only have orthogonal transformations.