Symmetry Groups and Group Actions

In summary, there are a total of 2380 elements in S17 that are made up of two 4-cycles and three 3-cycles.
Obraz35

Homework Statement

I would like to find the number of distinct elements in S17 that are made up of two 4-cycles and three 3-cycles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a very simple question but since the group is so huge it's hard to figure out. I have been trying to look at the problem from the point of view of group actions but that has not gotten me anywhere yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just a combinatorics question? The symmetric groups are very, uh, symmetric. How many ways to pick two four cycles and one three cycle?

Well, I tried looking at it that way, but it seems really complicated.
But here is what I have come up with, please let me know if I am missing something since I haven't done this type of thing in a while.

17 choose 4 = 2380
13 choose 4 = 715
9 choose 3 = 84
6 choose 3 = 20
3 choose 3 = 1

then within in each set of 4 elements there are 6 distinct permutations and within in each set of 3 there are 2 distinct permutations.

So to come up with the total would you just multiply
(2380)(715)(84)(20)(1)(62)(23)?

Thanks.

I thought it should be just C(17,4)*C(13,4)*C(9,3). Shouldn't the rest be fixed? So you don't have any more cycles? I think you still have to account for permutations in those cycles though.

Would the last two 3-cycles really be fixed? If there were six elements remaining to put into cycles there are still 20 different ways to put them into two separate 3-cycles, correct?

Obraz35 said:
Would the last two 3-cycles really be fixed? If there were six elements remaining to put into cycles there are still 20 different ways to put them into two separate 3-cycles, correct?

Sure. I was reading the problem wrong. But you still have to do some more counting, don't you? Once you've chosen the set, say {1,2,3}, (123) and (132) are still different 3 cycles.

Well, here is a different way of thinking about so I am not sure which way is correct..

There are 17! ways to line up the 17 elements in a row. Then we group the first 4 in a 4-cycle, the second 4 in a 4-cycle, the next 3 into a 3-cycle and so on until all the elements have been grouped together.

But there are multiple ways to get get a single element:
Switch the 2 4-cycles: 2! ways
Shift the elements inside a 4-cycle while retaining the same permutation: 4 ways
Switch the 3 cycles: 3!
Shift the elements inside a 4-cycle while retaining the same permutation: 3 ways
So this means that for a particular element of S17 there are 2!(42)(3!)(32)

So our final count for the number of distinct elements with this structure is
17!/[(2!)(42)(3!)(32)]

Does this seem right? It seems like the logic is correct but it gives me a different answer than my other method.

That sounds right. Unless I'm missing something too.

[itex]\binom {17}{4} 3! \binom {13}{4} 3! \binom {9}{3} 2! \binom {6}{3} 2! \binom {3}{3} 2![/itex] as there are [itex](k-1)![/itex] ways to cycle k elements

then i think you have to divide by 2 to take into account the repeated 4-cycles and then divide by 3 because of the repeated 3 cycles.

1. What is a symmetry group?

A symmetry group is a mathematical concept that describes the set of all transformations that preserve the shape and structure of an object. These transformations can include rotations, reflections, translations, and combinations of these operations.

2. How are symmetry groups and group actions related?

Symmetry groups and group actions are closely related, as group actions are a way of mathematically describing the transformations that make up a symmetry group. Group actions define how elements of a group (such as rotations or reflections) act on a particular object, while symmetry groups describe the set of all possible group actions.

3. Can symmetry groups be applied to real-world objects?

Yes, symmetry groups can be applied to real-world objects. In fact, symmetry groups can be found in many natural and man-made objects, including crystals, snowflakes, and architectural designs. By studying the symmetry group of an object, we can better understand its properties and how it relates to other objects with similar symmetry.

4. What is the importance of symmetry groups in mathematics?

Symmetry groups have a wide range of applications in mathematics, including geometry, algebra, and topology. They provide a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing the structure of objects and patterns, and have connections to many other areas of mathematics, such as group theory and representation theory.

5. Are there different types of symmetry groups?

Yes, there are different types of symmetry groups. The most common types are discrete symmetry groups, which describe the symmetries of objects with a finite or countable number of elements, and continuous symmetry groups, which describe the symmetries of objects with infinitely many elements, such as curves and surfaces. There are also other types of symmetry groups, such as crystallographic groups and wallpaper groups, which have specific applications in geometry and crystallography.