Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Symptoms of an autistic patient?

1. Jul 25, 2008 #1

tgt

What could be some of the symptoms of an autistic patient?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2
    The first clinical description of autism was written by Leo Kanner:

Kanner L, Eisenberg L (1956). "Early infantile autism 1943–1955". Am J Orthopsychiatry 26: 556–66.

For the modern diagnostic criteria see the DSM-IV

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4

BWV

Actually it was Hans Asperger in 1944 with "Autistic psychopathy' in childhood"

Much more decent guy than Kanner, especially as he wrote this below while the Nazi's were killing disabled people:

"We are convinced, then, that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfil their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers."

6. Jul 25, 2008 #5
    Well they were certainly writing independently of one another, but I thought Kanner was first talking about it in 1943... so one year before Asperger.

7. Jul 27, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there are now several threads on autism, all basically addressing the same things, I'm going to close this one and leave the one started by jimmysnyder open, since it has links directly to the DSM IV diagnostic criteria. I'm not going to merge the threads because the context would get pretty confusing. I'm just stating this all for the record that there's nothing wrong with this thread other than it would be best to keep all the discussion on autism symptoms confined to a single thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?