Symptoms of an autistic patient?

• Medical
  • Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
tgt

Main Question or Discussion Point

What could be some of the symptoms of an autistic patient?

Answers and Replies

The first clinical description of autism was written by Leo Kanner:

Kanner L, Eisenberg L (1956). "Early infantile autism 1943–1955". Am J Orthopsychiatry 26: 556–66.

For the modern diagnostic criteria see the DSM-IV

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BWV
The first clinical description of autism was written by Leo Kanner:

Kanner L, Eisenberg L (1956). "Early infantile autism 1943–1955". Am J Orthopsychiatry 26: 556–66.

For the modern diagnostic criteria see the DSM-IV

Actually it was Hans Asperger in 1944 with "Autistic psychopathy' in childhood"

Much more decent guy than Kanner, especially as he wrote this below while the Nazi's were killing disabled people:

"We are convinced, then, that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfil their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers."

Well they were certainly writing independently of one another, but I thought Kanner was first talking about it in 1943... so one year before Asperger.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since there are now several threads on autism, all basically addressing the same things, I'm going to close this one and leave the one started by jimmysnyder open, since it has links directly to the DSM IV diagnostic criteria. I'm not going to merge the threads because the context would get pretty confusing. I'm just stating this all for the record that there's nothing wrong with this thread other than it would be best to keep all the discussion on autism symptoms confined to a single thread.