1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synching lights with music on a computer

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    I have wanted to do this for a while but cringe when I see the cost of the commercial systems. I want to be able to make lights flash in sync with mp3s on a computer but do not want to spend a lot of money. I know there are visualizations incorporated into Winamp, Windows Media Player, etc. that change color and patterns with the beat of the music. Is it possible to use something like this?

I know a little bit about electrical engineering (I am a mechanical engineering student) so I can figure out some things, but nothing very technical. I hope someone can help since this could also fall into computer science.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

This subject actually came up before, so a forum search might find what you're looking for. My approach, since I don't know any electronics or have any money, is to go with the age-old trick of gluing mirror chips to a piece of Saran Wrap and stretching it over the front of a speaker with a light shining on it, or snaking some leads off of the graphic equalizer bar graphs to run secondary lighting.
    On a more serious note, I do happen to have access to a couple of different 'colour organ' schematics. I just don't have them handy right now. I'll pop back in with them tomorrow, if no one else obliges first.

4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could design such a system around a freeware mp3 decoder and a microcontroller like the Cypress EZ-USB family. An experienced EE wouldn't have much difficulty with it, but it could potentially involve a lot of concepts:

1) C application programming on a PC
    2) Printed circuit board layout and manufacture
    3) Microcontroller firmware
    4) Power electronics

- Warren

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Looks like I misunderstood the original question; sorry 'bout that. If you want the computer to control the lights, then I haven't a clue. I thought that you just meant to have something that worked while the computer was playing your music. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?