Synching lights with music on a computer

In summary, it is possible to create a system that changes colors and patterns to match the beat of the music, but it may require some technical knowledge and a computer application.
Hatty
I have wanted to do this for a while but cringe when I see the cost of the commercial systems. I want to be able to make lights flash in sync with mp3s on a computer but do not want to spend a lot of money. I know there are visualizations incorporated into Winamp, Windows Media Player, etc. that change color and patterns with the beat of the music. Is it possible to use something like this?

I know a little bit about electrical engineering (I am a mechanical engineering student) so I can figure out some things, but nothing very technical. I hope someone can help since this could also fall into computer science.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
This subject actually came up before, so a forum search might find what you're looking for. My approach, since I don't know any electronics or have any money, is to go with the age-old trick of gluing mirror chips to a piece of Saran Wrap and stretching it over the front of a speaker with a light shining on it, or snaking some leads off of the graphic equalizer bar graphs to run secondary lighting.
On a more serious note, I do happen to have access to a couple of different 'colour organ' schematics. I just don't have them handy right now. I'll pop back in with them tomorrow, if no one else obliges first.

You could design such a system around a freeware mp3 decoder and a microcontroller like the Cypress EZ-USB family. An experienced EE wouldn't have much difficulty with it, but it could potentially involve a lot of concepts:

1) C application programming on a PC
2) Printed circuit board layout and manufacture
3) Microcontroller firmware
4) Power electronics

- Warren

Looks like I misunderstood the original question; sorry 'bout that. If you want the computer to control the lights, then I haven't a clue. I thought that you just meant to have something that worked while the computer was playing your music. :redface:

1. How does synching lights with music on a computer work?

Synching lights with music on a computer involves using specialized software or programs that analyze the music's beat and tempo, and then send signals to connected light fixtures or bulbs to match the rhythm and timing of the music. This can be done through various methods, such as using MIDI controllers, DMX interfaces, or wireless communication.

2. What type of lights can be synched with music on a computer?

Virtually any light fixture or bulb can be synched with music on a computer, as long as it can be controlled through a computer or connected to a device that can communicate with the computer. This includes LED lights, stage lights, Christmas lights, and even smart bulbs.

3. Can I customize the light show when synching lights with music on a computer?

Yes, most software and programs used for synching lights with music on a computer offer a variety of customization options. These can include selecting specific colors, patterns, and effects for each light, as well as adjusting the timing and intensity of the lights to match the music.

4. Do I need any special equipment to synch lights with music on a computer?

In addition to the software or program, you may need some additional equipment to connect the lights to your computer. This can include MIDI controllers, DMX interfaces, or wireless transmitters. The specific equipment needed may vary depending on the type of lights and software being used.

5. Can I use any type of music to synch lights on a computer?

Yes, you can use any type of music to synch lights on a computer. The software or program will analyze the beat and tempo of the music and adjust the light show accordingly. However, some programs may have limitations or work better with certain genres of music, so it is important to research and choose the right software for your specific needs.