Synchronization from dissipation?

In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting effect of synchronization of oscillators and the role of dissipation in this phenomenon. The Kuramoto model is mentioned as a possible explanation, but the speaker does not fully understand it and is looking for a simpler explanation. The video shown demonstrates the synchronization of metronomes and the potentially related concept of resonance is also mentioned. The conversation also briefly touches on the chaotic dynamics of the double pendulum.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
What is a simple explanation of the effect shown in the attached video?
The video shows an interesting effect of synchronization of oscillators. The most confusing property of this phenomenon is that it is not time-inversion invariant; if the oscillators started in the synchronized state of motion, they would not end up in the unsynchronized state. This means that dissipation also must play a role in this effect. But what exactly the role of dissipation is? It's not clear to me. Allegedly the effect can be explained by the Kuramoto model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuramoto_model but I don't understand that. Can someone give a relatively simple explanation of the effect?

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
"The results are well described by a simple model. The metronomes are described as van der Pol oscillators17 and the coupling between the metronomes comes from the undamped motion of the base."

From "Synchronization of metronomes" by James Pantaleone
[PDF]
Synchronization of metronomes - Department of Mathematics

• Informative
Likes Demystifier and anorlunda
I'm not very experienced when it comes to the physics of these kinds of dynamics, but my thought after seeing the video was that I thought it may have something to do with resonance (resonant frequency) and the page you posted mentioned intrinsic natural frequency which is related to resonant frequency. But I have no thoughts to share at the moment about dissipation.

A very cool video, thanks for posting!

Sidenote: Another cool (very) dynamical system is the double pendulum, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum, which has sort of opposite dynamics (always chaotic), which you may be familiar with.

1. What is synchronization from dissipation?

Synchronization from dissipation refers to the phenomenon in which a system of coupled oscillators, each dissipating energy, spontaneously synchronizes their oscillations. This means that the oscillators achieve a state of coordinated motion, where their frequencies and phases become similar.

2. How does synchronization from dissipation occur?

Synchronization from dissipation occurs due to the coupling between the oscillators and the dissipation of energy in the system. As energy is dissipated, the oscillators adjust their frequencies and phases to achieve a state of minimum energy dissipation, leading to synchronization.

3. What are some real-world examples of synchronization from dissipation?

Examples of synchronization from dissipation can be found in various systems such as fireflies flashing in unison, pacemaker cells in the heart, and coupled lasers in optical networks. It is also observed in biological systems, such as the synchronization of circadian rhythms in organisms.

4. What are the benefits of synchronization from dissipation?

Synchronization from dissipation can have various benefits, such as enhancing the efficiency and robustness of a system. It can also lead to the emergence of new collective behaviors and patterns, which can have practical applications in fields such as communication and computing.

5. What are some current research areas related to synchronization from dissipation?

Current research in synchronization from dissipation is focused on understanding the underlying mechanisms and principles of this phenomenon, as well as exploring its potential applications in different fields. Some specific areas of research include studying synchronization in complex networks, investigating the role of noise in synchronization, and developing new synchronization-based technologies.