Synthesizing Functions using K-maps

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the function $f$(x1,x2,x3) is in the simplest sum of products form and can be solved for x using a K-map.
shamieh
For a timing diagram - synthesize the function $f$(x1,x2,x3) in the simplest sum of products form.

So I have a picture of this timing diagram, which I can't really show on here unless i physically took a picture and uploaded it, but it's really irrelevant because I know I have the correct truth table, so hopefully we can work with that.

So my Truth Table reads:

1. x1 x2 x3 | f
  2. 0 0 0 | 1
  3. 0 0 1 | 0
  4. 0 1 0 | 0
  5. 0 1 1 | 1
  6. 1 0 0 | 0
  7. 1 0 1 | 1
  8. 1 1 0 | 1
  9. 1 1 1 | 0

So now I know I have $f$(x1,x2,x3) = \(\displaystyle \sum\)m(0,3,5,6)

Which means I have:

x!x2!x3! + x1!x2x3 + x1x2!x3 + x1x2x3!

So I need to put this function in the simplest sum of products form.. So I'm assuming i need to minimize the function that I just got above? If I am on the right track- then I now need to use a K-Map to find the minimization.

So here it goes.. (This is my K-Map)

... x2 x3
.. 00 01 11 10
x1 0[1) 0 1 0]
.. 1[0 1 0 (1]

So my question Is what now? How should I group all these 1s? Just group each of them by themselves? And if so, How do I read off what is going on here?
Would I read it like this ? x1!x2!x3! + x1x2!x3 + x1!x2x3 + x1x2x3! ?
Thanks for your time.

If this is something you can't explain or think I should just read more up on, please let me know, because I can take constructive criticism. I just want to make sure I know how to do these.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Yeah, diagonal clumping isn't allowed on K-maps. There's no simplification possible for that function, and you already have the simplest SoP. That's what I say.

Your help is greatly appreciated. If only you guys knew how much you really help me. I seriously live on this forum - thanks to teachers who machine gun through chapters and T.A.s who can barely speak English. You all are very helpful. Appreciate everything you have supplied and helped me with.

Sham

shamieh said:
Your help is greatly appreciated. If only you guys knew how much you really help me. I seriously live on this forum - thanks to teachers who machine gun through chapters and T.A.s who can barely speak English. You all are very helpful. Appreciate everything you have supplied and helped me with.

Sham

Thanks very much for those kind words! I can assure you, it works both ways. When we get courteous users who ask interesting questions, that makes it all worth-while!

Hi there,

First of all, great job on setting up the truth table and identifying the function in its simplest form. You are on the right track!

Next, let's talk about grouping the 1s in the K-Map. The goal is to group as many 1s as possible in the K-Map to minimize the function. In order to do this, we need to look for groups of 1s that are adjacent to each other, either horizontally or vertically. We cannot group diagonally.

In your K-Map, we can see that there are two groups of 1s - one group of two 1s and one group of four 1s. So, we can group these 1s as follows:

x1!x2!x3! + x1x2!x3 + x1!x2x3 + x1x2x3!

= x1!x2!x3! + x1x2!x3 + x1!x2x3 + x1x2x3!

= x1!x3!(x2! + x2) + x1x3(x2 + x2!)

= x1!x3 + x1x3

= x1(x3 + x3!) (since x! = 1)

= x1

Therefore, the simplest sum of products form for the function $f$(x1,x2,x3) is x1.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

1. How do K-maps help in synthesizing functions?

K-maps, also known as Karnaugh maps, provide a visual representation of a truth table for a logical function. This visual representation allows for easier identification and simplification of Boolean expressions, making the process of synthesizing functions more efficient.

2. What is the purpose of grouping variables in K-maps?

The purpose of grouping variables in K-maps is to identify patterns and simplify the Boolean expression. Grouping variables reduces the number of terms in the expression and helps in identifying common factors that can be factored out.

3. How do I know which variable to group in K-maps?

The variables to group in K-maps are determined by the number of squares in the map. The goal is to group the maximum number of squares while keeping the groups as large as possible. This helps in minimizing the number of terms in the Boolean expression.

4. Can I use K-maps for functions with more than 4 variables?

Yes, K-maps can be used for functions with more than 4 variables. However, the map becomes larger and more complex, making it more difficult to identify patterns and simplify the expression. In these cases, other methods such as Quine-McCluskey algorithm may be more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using K-maps for synthesizing functions?

While K-maps are a useful tool for synthesizing functions, they have some limitations. They can only be used for Boolean functions, and the number of variables must be a power of 2. Additionally, K-maps become more complex and difficult to use for functions with more than 4 or 5 variables.