1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthetic division (small part of a bigger problem)

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    (x^3-2)/(x^2+11x+24) can't seem to simplify this I get x+(-11x^2-24x-2)/(x^2+11x+24) that doesn't seem right.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's right but why do you still have a quadratic term in the numerator and denominator of the remainder? That's not really a proper remainder, is it? Don't you want x-11+remainder?

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    I've thought about doing synthetic division again with the remainder... would that be right. If I did I would get -11 that would cross out with my +11 and add a remainder.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Cross out with +11"? What +11? Yes, the quotient should be x-11 and the remainder a linear polynomial over x^2+11x+24.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First of all, you aren't doing "synthetic division". Synthetic division is used to divide a polynomial by a first order term of the form x- a only. What you are doing is just division with polynomials.

It's hard to comment since you didn't show your work. Did you handle the "0x2" and "0x" in the dividend properly?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?