Synthetic division (small part of a bigger problem)

• Thread starter graycolor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the conversation revolves around simplifying the expression (x^3-2)/(x^2+11x+24) using synthetic division. The speaker has obtained an incorrect quotient and questions why there is still a quadratic term in the numerator and denominator of the remainder. They suggest using synthetic division again, which the other speaker clarifies is not the appropriate method. They also mention the importance of handling the "0x2" and "0x" terms in the dividend properly. The proper quotient should be x-11 and the remainder a linear polynomial over x^2+11x+24.
graycolor
(x^3-2)/(x^2+11x+24) can't seem to simplify this I get x+(-11x^2-24x-2)/(x^2+11x+24) that doesn't seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's right but why do you still have a quadratic term in the numerator and denominator of the remainder? That's not really a proper remainder, is it? Don't you want x-11+remainder?

I've thought about doing synthetic division again with the remainder... would that be right. If I did I would get -11 that would cross out with my +11 and add a remainder.

graycolor said:
I've thought about doing synthetic division again with the remainder... would that be right. If I did I would get -11 that would cross out with my +11 and add a remainder.

"Cross out with +11"? What +11? Yes, the quotient should be x-11 and the remainder a linear polynomial over x^2+11x+24.

First of all, you aren't doing "synthetic division". Synthetic division is used to divide a polynomial by a first order term of the form x- a only. What you are doing is just division with polynomials.

It's hard to comment since you didn't show your work. Did you handle the "0x2" and "0x" in the dividend properly?

1. What is synthetic division?

Synthetic division is a simplified method of polynomial division used to divide a polynomial by a linear factor. It is commonly used to find the roots or zeros of a polynomial function.

2. How is synthetic division different from long division?

Synthetic division is a quicker and simpler method compared to long division. It involves using the coefficients of the polynomial rather than writing out the full polynomial. It also eliminates the need for constantly rewriting the variable terms.

3. What are the steps for performing synthetic division?

The steps for synthetic division are:
1. Arrange the polynomial in descending order.
2. Write the opposite of the constant term of the divisor as the first number in the synthetic division box.
3. Bring down the first coefficient of the polynomial into the first row of the box.
4. Multiply the number in the first row by the number in the first column and write the result in the second row.
5. Add the numbers in the second row and write the result in the third row.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all coefficients have been used.
7. The last number in the last row is the remainder and the previous numbers represent the coefficients of the quotient.

4. When is it appropriate to use synthetic division?

Synthetic division is most commonly used when dividing a polynomial by a linear factor. It can also be used to find the rational roots of a polynomial function.

5. Are there any limitations to using synthetic division?

Yes, synthetic division can only be used when dividing by a linear factor. It cannot be used to divide by a polynomial of a higher degree or when the divisor has a degree greater than one. Additionally, it can only be used for polynomials with numerical coefficients.