System of Laplace Transforms (Question and Solution Included).

In summary: In your second attempt, you used the quadratic formula but you should have used the inverse Laplace transform to get the (-9/2 + sqrt(13)/2) and (-3/2 + sqrt(13)/2) parts.
s3a
I attached the question along with its solution.

Upon trying to find X(s), I get (s - 2)/(s^2 + 3s - 1) which is correct but after that I have to take the inverse Laplace transform and I don't know how to get the (-9/2 + sqrt(13)/2) and (-3/2 + sqrt(13)/2) parts and if someone could show me what the solution skipped, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Upon trying to find X(s), I get (s - 2)/(s^2 + 3s - 1) which is correct but after that I have to take the inverse Laplace transform and I don't know how to get the (-9/2 + sqrt(13)/2) and (-3/2 + sqrt(13)/2) parts and if someone could show me what the solution skipped, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Probably partial fractions from the roots of [itex]s^2+3s-1[/itex].

s3a said:

Thanks in advance!
Presumably you've inverted Laplace transforms before. Show us what you've tried.

I have done Laplace Transforms before and I think the partial fractions might be my problem.

For my first (logged) attempt, I tried a way without using partial fractions and got an answer but I may have made a mistake somewhere but I can't catch one. I anticipate a mistake since I was expected to use partial fractions and I get a seemingly different answer but I'm not sure if it's the same answer disguised in a different form.

For my second (logged) attempt, I used the quadratic formula since I was trying to use partial fractions and replicate the solution.

I'm attaching my work for what I mentioned above and would appreciate it if I can get the flaws of each attempt pointed out.

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 475
In your first attempt, you made a sign error. When you completed the square, you should have gotten
$$s^2+3s-1 = s+3s+\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - 1 = \left(s+\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{13}{4}$$

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is a Laplace transform performed?

A Laplace transform is performed by integrating the function of time multiplied by an exponential term, e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. The result is a function of s, known as the Laplace transform of the original function.

3. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the reverse operation of the Laplace transform. It transforms a function of complex frequency back into a function of time. This allows for the solution of differential equations and the analysis of systems in the time domain.

4. What are some applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms are commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems. They are also used in control theory, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

5. Can a Laplace transform be used to solve any type of differential equation?

Laplace transforms can be used to solve linear and time-invariant differential equations. However, some non-linear and time-varying systems may also be solvable using Laplace transforms, depending on the specific conditions and assumptions.