1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of Laplace Transforms (Question and Solution Included).

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1

s3a

I attached the question along with its solution.

Upon trying to find X(s), I get (s - 2)/(s^2 + 3s - 1) which is correct but after that I have to take the inverse Laplace transform and I don't know how to get the (-9/2 + sqrt(13)/2) and (-3/2 + sqrt(13)/2) parts and if someone could show me what the solution skipped, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• 3d.jpg
      3d.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Probably partial fractions from the roots of [itex]s^2+3s-1[/itex].

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Presumably you've inverted Laplace transforms before. Show us what you've tried.

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4

s3a

I have done Laplace Transforms before and I think the partial fractions might be my problem.

For my first (logged) attempt, I tried a way without using partial fractions and got an answer but I may have made a mistake somewhere but I can't catch one. I anticipate a mistake since I was expected to use partial fractions and I get a seemingly different answer but I'm not sure if it's the same answer disguised in a different form.

For my second (logged) attempt, I used the quadratic formula since I was trying to use partial fractions and replicate the solution.

I'm attaching my work for what I mentioned above and would appreciate it if I can get the flaws of each attempt pointed out.

Attached Files:

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In your first attempt, you made a sign error. When you completed the square, you should have gotten
    $$s^2+3s-1 = s+3s+\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - 1 = \left(s+\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{13}{4}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook