System of Linear Equations: 3x5 Matrix Solving Strategies and Tips

In summary: Wow, this is embarassing haha. That is how i originally did the problem and got the correct equations... when i went to the back of the book to check i saw a matrix with actual numbers in it... i was looking at chapter 1.1 not 1.2 (which we are currently on) so i assumed my answers were wrong... when i went back and looked at 1.2, i was right from the get go... well anyway, thanks once again dick for the help!
NBAJam100
LINEAR ALGEBRA... URGENT... help!

Homework Statement

Solve the System...

[1,0,0,-7,8] That is a 3x5 matrix.
[0,1,0,3,2,]
[0,0,1,1,-5]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why this is so hard to me, I've literally tried for about 2 hours to solve this. Calc 1-4 came naturally to me, but this is giving me so much trouble. Id be more happy right now with someone telling me the best way to approach these problems than a hint at this specific answer. Whenever i try to eliminate one variable, another one comes into the row and i am stuck with 2 variables, so i can't solve for any of the variables... please someone give me some advice on the best way to solve these... I am dying over here

Physics news on Phys.org

If you have 5 variables and 3 equations you will definitely be left with at least 2 undetermined variables. There's nothing you can do about that. The answer will have to be expressed in terms of those two variables, i.e. x=s+t, y=s-t, z=2t, s=s and t=t.

Dick said:
If you have 5 variables and 3 equations you will definitely be left with at least 2 undetermined variables. There's nothing you can do about that. The answer will have to be expressed in terms of those two variables, i.e. x=s+t, y=s-t, z=2t, s=s and t=t.

Actually, 4 variables, i forgot to put the line before the last row, so i assume you can solve for 4 unknowns with only 3 equations? and if so, finally, THANK YOU DICK! this problem has been killing me for the past 2 hours, i knew something was up with it... thank you for verifying it!

4 unknowns with 3 equations leaves you with at least one undetermined value. Looking at your equations I can tell you it's exactly one. If you are getting two, that might be a problem.

Dick said:
4 unknowns with 3 equations leaves you with at least one undetermined value. Looking at your equations I can tell you it's exactly one. If you are getting two, that might be a problem.

Wow, this is embarassing haha. That is how i originally did the problem and got the correct equations... when i went to the back of the book to check i saw a matrix with actual numbers in it... i was looking at chapter 1.1 not 1.2 (which we are currently on) so i assumed my answers were wrong... when i went back and looked at 1.2, i was right from the get go... well anyway, thanks once again dick for the help!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems and understanding real-world phenomena.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are essential for solving problems in linear algebra.

4. How is linear algebra used in machine learning and data science?

Linear algebra is used extensively in machine learning and data science for tasks such as data preprocessing, dimensionality reduction, and building predictive models. It provides the foundation for many algorithms used in these fields.

5. What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many resources available for learning linear algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular resources include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.