1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of Linear Equations to Resolve Room Dimensions

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Twelve equal rectangular ceiling panels are placed in a four long by three wide grid. Each panel is 150mm longer than it is wide. Between the panels runs an edge/middle strip which totals 40.0m in total length. (This runs round the whole perimeter and between each panel). By developing a system of linear equations what are the dimensions of the room?

So I have been staring at this all day. I know I am missing something simple but translating the given detail into something I can develop and solve is just a block at the moment. I would love some guidance if possible.

2. Relevant equations

??

3. The attempt at a solution

Have made many but none are correct!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The phrase "The attempt at a solution" does NOT refer only to successfu ones. If you have made many attempts, you should be able to show one[b\]. Seeing your mistakes will help us know what hints will help you.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3
    Ok well the best I have come up with so far is 4(4w+0.6)+5(3w)=40

Where w = width

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    Actually I think I have it now.

where w = width and l = length.

1. w=l-0.15
    2. 16l+15w=40

Substituting into Eq 2

16l+15(l-0.15)=40
    16l+15l-2.25=40
    l=1.36m

Therefore:

w=1.36-0.15=1.21m

So overall room dimensions are 3w=3.63m and 4l=5.44m

That seems to work out and follow fairly sensible logic I think.

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

So the strip runs between the tiles? I think you must calculate half the sum of the length of any side that touches another tile. Set this to 40 and you'll be able to find the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted