System of Linear Equations to Resolve Room Dimensions

In summary, the dimensions of the room are 3.63m by 5.44m, with each panel being 1.21m by 1.36m and a total of 12 panels in a 4x3 grid. By setting the sum of half the length of any side that touches another tile to 40, a system of linear equations can be developed to find the dimensions of the room.
kyle1984

Homework Statement

Twelve equal rectangular ceiling panels are placed in a four long by three wide grid. Each panel is 150mm longer than it is wide. Between the panels runs an edge/middle strip which totals 40.0m in total length. (This runs round the whole perimeter and between each panel). By developing a system of linear equations what are the dimensions of the room?

So I have been staring at this all day. I know I am missing something simple but translating the given detail into something I can develop and solve is just a block at the moment. I would love some guidance if possible.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

Have made many but none are correct!

Physics news on Phys.org
The phrase "The attempt at a solution" does NOT refer only to successfu ones. If you have made many attempts, you should be able to show one[b\]. Seeing your mistakes will help us know what hints will help you.

Ok well the best I have come up with so far is 4(4w+0.6)+5(3w)=40

Where w = width

Actually I think I have it now.

where w = width and l = length.

1. w=l-0.15
2. 16l+15w=40

Substituting into Eq 2

16l+15(l-0.15)=40
16l+15l-2.25=40
l=1.36m

Therefore:

w=1.36-0.15=1.21m

So overall room dimensions are 3w=3.63m and 4l=5.44m

That seems to work out and follow fairly sensible logic I think.

So the strip runs between the tiles? I think you must calculate half the sum of the length of any side that touches another tile. Set this to 40 and you'll be able to find the solution.

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of equations that are connected and have the same variables. The goal is to find values for the variables that make all of the equations true.

2. How does a system of linear equations help resolve room dimensions?

A system of linear equations can be used to determine the dimensions of a room by setting up equations for each dimension (length, width, and height) and solving for the variables.

3. What information is needed to set up a system of linear equations for room dimensions?

The information needed includes the area or volume of the room, as well as any other dimensions that are given or can be measured.

4. Can a system of linear equations be used for irregularly shaped rooms?

Yes, a system of linear equations can be used for irregularly shaped rooms as long as the equations are set up to account for the unique dimensions of the room.

5. Are there any limitations to using a system of linear equations for room dimensions?

There may be limitations if the room is extremely irregularly shaped or if there are other factors that affect the dimensions, such as curved or angled walls. In these cases, more complex equations may be needed.