System of Partial Differential Equations: Solving for u(x,y)

In summary, the system of partial differential equations can be solved by integrating both equations with their respective variables as parameters and including them in the integration constant. This will result in two solutions that can be equated to find the relationship between the two integration constants.
menco

Homework Statement

Solve the following system of partial differential equations for u(x,y)

Homework Equations

[tex]du/dy = 2xyu [/tex]

[tex]du/dx = (y^2 + 5)u [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am honestly not sure where to start, my lectures and tutorials this week have not been helpful at all. My guess is to take the derivative of the first equation and sub that into the second equation for y and then take the derivative of the second equation to get my final answer. But I am probably completely wrong. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can show that d(ln(u))=(y2+5)dx+2xy dy is an exact differential.

ehild

menco said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following system of partial differential equations for u(x,y)

Homework Equations

[tex]du/dy = 2xyu [/tex]

[tex]du/dx = (y^2 + 5)u [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Try to integrate both equations keeping the other variable as parameter, and include it also into the integration constant. You get the solutions in the form u(xy)=F(x,y) +f(x), u(xy)=G(x,y)+g(x). The two functions must be identical: you find the relation between f and g from this requirement.

ehild

Related to System of Partial Differential Equations: Solving for u(x,y)

1. What is a system of partial differential equations (PDEs)?

A system of partial differential equations (PDEs) is a set of equations that involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. These equations are used to describe relationships and behaviors of complex systems such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields.

2. How is a system of PDEs different from a single PDE?

A single PDE only involves one independent variable, while a system of PDEs involves multiple independent variables. This allows for a more comprehensive description of a system's behavior and can capture interactions between different variables.

3. What are some common methods for solving systems of PDEs?

Some common methods for solving systems of PDEs include separation of variables, numerical methods, and the method of characteristics. These methods vary in complexity and are chosen based on the specific system and its boundary conditions.

4. What are the applications of systems of PDEs?

Systems of PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and many other areas where complex systems need to be studied and analyzed.

5. What challenges are involved in solving systems of PDEs?

Solving systems of PDEs can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the large number of variables involved. Additionally, finding appropriate boundary conditions and initial conditions can also be difficult. The high computational cost of solving these equations is another challenge that researchers often face.