T is a linearly independent subset of vector space V

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding linear independence and dependence in a mathematics class. The expert suggests reading articles and reviewing definitions to better understand the concepts. The student expresses their struggles with understanding the basics and the expert advises them to learn the definitions by heart in order to solve problems and prove statements.
heytheree
question in attachment. please help!

Attachments

• vector independence.png
    vector independence.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
As in your previous thread, what do you need help with?

i just am confused on how to prove this

So for the first part, you have that [itex]T \cup \{v\}[/itex] is linearly dependent. Can you write out what that means?

i have no idea what that means? I am really struggling in this class. i barely understand the basic concepts.

Then I suggest you review them! Having other people tell you how to do your homework- especially as regards basic concepts- won't help you pass the course.

To start with, why don't you write out the exact definition of "Linear Dependent" and "Linearly Independent" so we can help you understand what they mean. That was what jgens was suggesting you do.

heytheree said:
i have no idea what that means? I am really struggling in this class. i barely understand the basic concepts.

Do you know what linear independence means?

In mathematics, perhaps more than other studies, definitions are "working definitions". That is, in solving problem and proving statements, you use the precise words of the definitions. Learn them by heart!

Related to T is a linearly independent subset of vector space V

1. What is a linearly independent subset of a vector space?

A linearly independent subset of a vector space is a collection of vectors that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. This means that no vector in the subset can be expressed as a scalar multiple of another vector in the subset.

2. How do you determine if a subset is linearly independent?

To determine if a subset is linearly independent, you can use the definition of linear independence. You can also use the concept of linear dependence, where a subset is linearly dependent if at least one vector in the subset can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the subset.

3. Why is linear independence important in vector spaces?

Linear independence is important in vector spaces because it allows us to easily solve systems of linear equations and perform other operations such as finding bases and spanning sets. It also helps us understand the structure of vector spaces and how vectors interact with each other.

4. Can a subset of a vector space be both linearly independent and linearly dependent?

No, a subset of a vector space cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. These two concepts are mutually exclusive. A subset is either linearly independent or linearly dependent, but not both.

5. How does the dimension of a vector space relate to its linearly independent subsets?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in any linearly independent subset that spans the entire vector space. This means that the dimension of a vector space is the minimum number of vectors needed to form a basis for that vector space.