Tabular data in reply to a post

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to include a table of values in a reply by converting it to a PDF and uploading it as an attachment, formatting it within [code] tags, or converting it to an image. LaTeX can also be used to build tables with various environments such as array, bmatrix, pmatrix, and vmatrix. The PF system automatically recognizes these environments, so there is no need to use [tex], [itex], $$, or ## tags.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I wanted to include a table of values in a reply. Is this possible? I had a table in Word; when I cut & pasted into the PF reply the formatting was lost completely.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try converting to PDF and uploading as an attachment?

You can make a LaTeX table.

$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3 & 4\\
a & b & c & d\\
x & y & z & w
\end{pmatrix}$$

You can format it within [code] tags:
Code:
here           spaces are conserved
which allows   tables, sort oft

Or convert the table to an image and include that.

Thanks !

You can build tables in Latex:
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline \text{Column 1} & \text{Column 2}&\text{Column 3} &\text{Column 4} &\text{Column 5} \\
\hline 0&0&1&0&1\\
\hline 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
\hline
\end{array}
Right click on the figure to see the LaTeX.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
LCKurtz said:
Right click on the figure to see the LaTeX.
Or click "Reply" to see the LaTeX. :smile:

What is weird is that I think I forgot to put either the ## or $$ tags in that post and it printed the latex anyway.

LCKurtz said:
What is weird is that I think I forgot to put either the ## or $$ tags in that post and it printed the latex anyway.
The system we have in place here at PF automatically recognizes certain environments, such as array (that you used) and bmatrix, pmatrix, and vmatrix, and maybe some others as well. You don't need to surround these known enviromments with [tex] or [itex] tags, or the easier to use (IMO) $$ or ## tags.
Bracketed matrix (bmatrix)
\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}
Parenthesized matrix (pmatrix)
\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}
Vertical bars matrix (vmatrix)
\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{vmatrix}

1. What is tabular data?

Tabular data refers to data that is organized into columns and rows in a table format, similar to a spreadsheet. It is a common way of organizing and presenting data for easy analysis and comparison.

2. How can tabular data be useful in a post?

Tabular data can be useful in a post for presenting and comparing large amounts of data in a structured and organized manner. This can make the information more easily understandable and digestible for the reader.

3. What are some common examples of tabular data?

Some common examples of tabular data include financial data such as stock prices, sports statistics, and survey results. It can also be used for organizing information such as product specifications or demographic data.

4. What are some tools for creating tabular data?

There are various tools available for creating tabular data, including spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. There are also online tools and plugins specifically designed for creating and styling tables in blog posts or articles.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of tabular data in my post?

To ensure the accuracy of tabular data in a post, it is important to double-check all the data entered and make sure it is from reliable sources. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the data for any errors or inconsistencies.