Can You Organize Files with Tags and Metadata?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for software that can organize files using tags or metadata. The ideal software would allow for searching and displaying tags, and could either store data directly or within the files themselves. While free software would be preferred, the mention of Vista's ability to organize files by tags in its filesystem is noted. This feature is often used for photos, but can also be used for other types of files and integrates with the search system. The conversation ends with a plan to try using Vista for organizing files and using folders for the other computer.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was wondering if there was any good software 'out there' for organizing files with some kind of tags or metadata. For example, a file might be tagged "additive number theory" and "combinatorics" and might have a title, author, and year as metadata. Ideally all could be searched and a list of tags could be displayed, either by frequency of use or categorically.

Data could be stored by the program directly or it could be stored in the files themselves (if, like pdf/jpg/png/xls/doc/mp3, they have the capability).

Free would be nice, but I wouldn't object to buying software that did this properly.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Vista includes this ability in the filesystem.
It mainly gets used for photos but there's no reason you can't use it for anything else.
It ties into the search system so you can have virtual folders organised by file tags

mgb_phys said:
Vista includes this ability in the filesystem.
It mainly gets used for photos but there's no reason you can't use it for anything else.
It ties into the search system so you can have virtual folders organised by file tags

Hmm, okay, I'll try that on the computer with Vista.

I suppose I'll just use folders for the other one...

Related to Can You Organize Files with Tags and Metadata?

1. What is the purpose of tagging and sorting files?

The purpose of tagging and sorting files is to organize and categorize documents, images, or other types of files in a systematic way. This makes it easier to find and access specific files when needed.

2. How do tags help with file management?

Tags provide a way to add descriptive labels or keywords to files, making it easier to identify and group related files together. This can save time and effort when searching for specific files.

3. What are some best practices for tagging and sorting files?

Some best practices for tagging and sorting files include using consistent and descriptive labels, avoiding duplicate tags, and regularly reviewing and updating tags as needed.

4. Is it better to use folders or tags for organizing files?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the type of files being organized. Folders are useful for organizing files into broad categories, while tags allow for more specific and flexible organization.

5. Can I tag and sort files on any operating system?

Yes, most operating systems have built-in features or third-party applications that allow for tagging and sorting files. Some popular examples include macOS's Finder, Windows Explorer, and Linux's Dolphin.