"TAing" meaning in PhD programs?

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Programs
In summary, a Teaching Assistant typically does a lot of the work that a Research Assistant would normally do, but is paid less.
ChiralSuperfields
Hi Everyone,

Dose anybody please know what 'TAing' means in this context:

'In general for PhD programs, you should expect to be funded, possibly in exchange for TAing. You shouldn't expect to pay or to take out loans.'

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Teaching Assistant. If you're already at university there is probably a lecturer and a bunch of younger people supervising undergraduate labs and some problem solving sessions. The younger people are probably PhD students "TAing".

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, ChiralSuperfields, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
There's also "Research Assistant" (RA). It's pretty much the same thing as a TA, but considered the slightly lesser of the two.

TA: Teaching Assistant
RA: Research Assistant

An RA is typically expected to do things like grade papers, supervise tests, and help out with anything that needs helping out with.

But an RA can also be tasked with all the responsibilities that are normally associated with a TA (teaching a lab class, problem solving sessions, etc.) -- and this is often the case -- because RAs are paid slightly less, and when a university is on a limited budget, they'd rather officially classify their TAs as RAs when possible.

Likes Wrichik Basu and ChiralSuperfields
Depending on the circumstances anything between inspiring work with bright younger students and debilitating slave labor with not-so-bright lazy bastards.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, phinds, Wrichik Basu and 6 others
My experience of RAing as a PhD student was to be paid off a research grant and do research stuff having nothing to do with teaching. I considered this better. The money was the same.

Likes jtbell, ChiralSuperfields, Hyperfine and 2 others
BillTre said:
My experience of RAing as a PhD student was to be paid off a research grant and do research stuff having nothing to do with teaching. I considered this better. The money was the same.
This was in biology and molecular biology departments.
Physics may be different, as far as I know.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
BillTre said:
My experience of RAing as a PhD student was to be paid off a research grant and do research stuff having nothing to do with teaching.

BillTre said:
This was in biology and molecular biology departments.
Physics may be different, as far as I know.

It was the same in physics when I was in grad school at a large state university in the US.

Most grad students started out as TAs in their first year, alongside their own coursework. The most common setup was to teach four introductory lab sections, and take two graduate courses, per semester. That's what I did.

By the end of their second year, they were expected to hook up with a research group or advisor and become an RA (if the group/advisor had enough funding to take them on full time) or a "split" RA/TA (if funding was limited). TAs at this level usually taught introductory recitation sections, or graded homework for upper-level courses.

Last edited:
Likes robphy, ChiralSuperfields and BillTre

What does "TAing" mean in PhD programs?

"TAing" stands for "teaching assistantship" and refers to the role of assisting a professor in teaching a course or lab within a PhD program.

How do I become a TA in a PhD program?

The process of becoming a TA varies by program, but typically involves applying for a position through the department or faculty, and may require a certain level of academic achievement or specific skills related to the course being taught.

What are the responsibilities of a TA in a PhD program?

The responsibilities of a TA may include grading assignments and exams, leading discussion sections, holding office hours, and assisting with course planning and preparation.

What are the benefits of being a TA in a PhD program?

Some potential benefits of being a TA in a PhD program include gaining teaching experience, developing relationships with faculty and students, and receiving financial compensation in the form of a stipend or tuition waiver.

Can being a TA in a PhD program help with career development?

Yes, being a TA can provide valuable experience for those interested in pursuing a career in academia, as well as developing transferable skills such as communication, organization, and leadership.