1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take a look at my fall schedule (physics/chem dual major)

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1
    Fall semester:
    Intermediate Inorganic
    Analytical Chem
    Analytical chem lab
    Physical chem 1
    physical chem 1 lab
    Advanced Eng. Math
    Contemporary Physics
    Contemp. lab

:cry:

Spring Semester:
    Quantum Mechanics
    Physical chem 2
    Physical Chem 2 lab
    Linear Alg.
    Advanced Organic
    Advanced Inorganic
    Instrumental Analysis lab

So is anyone else a dual major in ACS chemistry and professional physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2
    I considered a dual Chem/Physics major for a while, but then decided I didn't want to kill myself by spending every waking moment in the lab, as you seem to be preparing to do :wink:.

I'm impressed, though. That looks like three serious chem courses next semester... coupled with three labs, I think that would make me go nuts. You look like a glutton for pain but if you can pull it off more power to you :smile:.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fall semester doesn't seem too bad

my fall semester will be as follows

modern physical chemistry
    analytical chemistry
    instrumental analysis
    mega lab (physical, analytical, inorganic lab)
    and I'll need to add one more

I'm a ACS chemistry major, which I might extend to an additional chemical engineering major since I've aced all my math and physics courses so far

I admit your second semester won't be a whole lot of fun, it will definitely lower your gpa

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Look at this:

P-chem
    Advanced thermodynamics
    Linear Algebra
    Clifford algebras
    Engineering Circuit Analysis
    Instrumental Analysis
    Instrumental Analysis Lab
    Fluid mechanics

My fall schedule. 22 credits. At least no humanities! :smile:

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5
    why do you have to take eight courses in a semester? :confused:

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6
    how the bleeping hell? OOOOH your labs count separate from your classes?

8. Jul 29, 2005 #7
    I wanna get a dual degree in 5 years.
    :tongue:

9. Jul 29, 2005 #8
    I don't know why I am majoring in chem in addition to physics though...I hate chem labs.

I will definitely do something in physics when I head to grad school after I graduate.

10. Jul 29, 2005 #9
    jeez'm crow, dude.

i'm double major phys and math, and i'll only have been in college for four years when i graduate, with my last six semesters containing only four courses each.

(so far i've had two semesters with five classes each and a summer term with two courses. i may do some more summer terms if i have time, but that would only get me more ahead.)

did you have like.... absolutely no college credit coming into school? :confused:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  11. Jul 29, 2005 #10

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem with taking some all those classes in one semester is the sheer amount of time one will need to spend in trying to master each subject, you can sort of get away with a "B attitude" in ealier courses, with advanced courses you're really gonna need to push it cause each of the course material requires devotion and a lot of attention to detail.

seems that the three of us have common courses (leright and LEuler), all of us are taking p. chem, leright and I are both taking anal chem, and LEuler...instrumental analysis. Perhaps we can all correspond here during the fall to "cheat" or whatever;)

12. Jul 29, 2005 #11
    Euler, you must be a chemical engineering major, correct?

13. Jul 29, 2005 #12
    yeah, I know I cram a lot in, but usually over the following summer I fill in the gaps in my understanding to make up for it.

14. Jul 29, 2005 #13

It is possible, my mathamatics professor last semester completed a triple major in four years, at CalTech no less. The three were chemistry, math, and economics. I remember he said he just did a basic economics class and liked it so he decided to get his major in it. He really was a workaholic, he hardly ever got more than a couple hours of sleep and pulled all night work alot.

15. Jul 29, 2005 #14

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Yup. Junior year.

Good idea.

16. Jul 29, 2005 #15
    wow, he went from being an undergrad the one semester to being a professor the next!

:tongue:

(nah, i know what you meant--just ribbin' on your syntax!)

17. Jul 29, 2005 #16
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?