Take a sector of this circle with internal angle

In summary: Basically, i thought this problem was equivalent to finding the radius of a circle circumscribing a given triangle. But i am not sure whether this is the right approach.In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of the smallest circle that will perfectly fit a given sector of a circle with internal angle A, where 0=<A=<pi/2. The solution involves using the laws of sine and cosine and results in the formula R=\frac{\sqrt{2-2cos(A)}}{2sin(A)}. Other approaches include bisecting the central angle A to find the radius of the inscribed circle and using the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle inscribed in a
sutupidmath
Problem: Given a circle of radius 1. Take a sector of this circle with internal angle A, where 0=<A=<pi/2. Find a formula for the radius of the smallest circle that will perfectly fit this sector, as a function of A.

Solution.

I used laws of sine and cosine and came up with:

[tex] R=\frac{\sqrt{2-2cos(A)}}{2sin(A)}[/tex].

So, i was wondering whether this is correct.

Basically, i thought this problem was equivalent to finding the radius of a circle circumscribing a given triangle. But i am not sure whether this is the right approach.

Thanks!

P.S. This is NOT a homework problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi sutupidmath! :smile:

that's sec(a/2)/2 … that doesn't look right

how did you get this?

First of all, what do you mean by "internal angle?"

Since you refer to a sector of a circle, I'm guessing that [itex]\angle A[/tex] is a "central angle," correct?

tiny-tim said:
hi sutupidmath! :smile:

that's sec(a/2)/2 … that doesn't look right

how did you get this?

Let the sides of the triangle be 1,1 and c, and the angle oposite to c, be A. Then using the law of cosine, we have for c:

[tex] c^2=2-2cos(A)[/tex]

Second, using the laws of sine, we have: [tex] \frac{c}{sin(A)}=2R[/tex] where R is the radius of the outer circle.

Combining these two, i arrived at my R.

zgozvrm said:
First of all, what do you mean by "internal angle?"

Since you refer to a sector of a circle, I'm guessing that [itex]\angle A[/tex] is a "central angle," correct?

Yes, it is a central angle.

sutupidmath said:
… using the law of cosine …

a lot simpler is to bisect A, immediately giving c = 2sin(A/2) :wink:
Second, using the laws of sine …

i don't understand this at all …

your LHS is 2sin(A/2)/sinA, which is 1/cos(A/2) …

what does that have to do with R? :confused:

and anyway, you're asked to find the inscribed circle

tiny-tim said:
a lot simpler is to bisect A, immediately giving c = 2sin(A/2) :wink:

i don't understand this at all …

your LHS is 2sin(A/2)/sinA, which is 1/cos(A/2) …

what does that have to do with R? :confused:

and anyway, you're asked to find the inscribed circle

I just realized that my answer is the same as yours, up to a few trig identities.

By the law of sine i meant a/sinA=b/sinB=c/sinC=2R, where R is the radius of the circumscribed circle around the triangle ABC.

And, i think we are supposed to find the radius of the circumscribed circle, since we want to fit the sector taken out of the circle with radius 1 in this other circle.

Here's a pic of what you described.

Note that the small circle is inscribed within a triangle; 2 sides that intersect at the center of the large circle. The 3rd side is tangent to the point where the 2 circles intersect and, thus, perpendicular to the radius of the large circle at that point.

Attachments

• Circle.jpg
    Circle.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 372
sutupidmath said:
And, i think we are supposed to find the radius of the circumscribed circle, since we want to fit the sector taken out of the circle with radius 1 in this other circle.

but the circumscribed circle is the original circle of radius 1

and "fit" usually means inside
sutupidmath said:
Problem: Given a circle of radius 1. Take a sector of this circle with internal angle A, where 0=<A=<pi/2. Find a formula for the radius of the smallest circle that will perfectly fit this sector, as a function of A.

tiny-tim said:
but the circumscribed circle is the original circle of radius 1
Actually the circumscribed circle (the circle that circumscribes the described sector is smaller than the original circle (see attachment).

Attachments

• Circle 2.jpg
    Circle 2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 346

tiny-tim said:
"fit" usually means inside

The circle in my last post "fits" around the sector.

Since the OP stated "the smallest circle that will perfectly fit this sector," I believe that is the circle he is looking for (not the first picture I posted).

oh yes, of course!

tiny-tim said:
"fit" usually means inside

... and, in this case, we're talking about how the sector perfectly fits inside the circle.

Well, my answer was correct! :)

Thanks for your input guys.

sutupidmath said:
Well, my answer was correct! :)
Yep!

There are more "compact" answers...
I came up with

[tex]R = \frac{\sin (A/2)}{\sin A}[/tex]

1. What is a sector of a circle?

A sector of a circle is a portion of a circle that is enclosed by two radii and an arc. It is similar to a slice of pizza or pie.

2. How do you find the area of a sector?

To find the area of a sector, you can use the formula A = (θ/360) x π x r², where θ is the central angle of the sector and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between the central angle and the area of a sector?

The central angle is directly proportional to the area of the sector. This means that as the central angle increases, the area of the sector also increases. Similarly, as the central angle decreases, the area of the sector decreases.

4. Can the internal angle of a sector be greater than 360 degrees?

No, the internal angle of a sector cannot be greater than 360 degrees. This is because 360 degrees is equal to one full rotation around the circle, and any angle greater than that would result in overlapping sectors or a full circle.

5. How is the perimeter of a sector calculated?

The perimeter of a sector is calculated by adding the length of the arc to the sum of the length of the two radii. This can be expressed as P = r + r + (θ/360) x 2πr, where θ is the central angle and r is the radius of the circle.