1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take-home free response question on plants

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Here is the information for the free response question. Please help me!
    Answers must be in essay form. Labeled diagrams may be used to supplement discussion, but in no case will a diagram alone suffice. It is important that you read the question before you begin to write.

1. This transparent sealed container contained plenty of water for the plants and was placed outside, where it received adequate sunshine during the day. Plant A is a begonia, which is a C3 plant. Plant B is sugarcane, which is a C4 plant. Plant C is a cactus, which is a CAM plant.

After four weeks, the only plant left alive was the cactus. Records indicate that the begonia died first and then the sugarcane. Based on what you know about these different kinds of plants, explain what happened. How was the cactus able to survive and why did the begonia die first?

Please refer to the attachment to see the picture that the question is referring to.

THANKS

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please tell us it is a joke and in fact you don't expect us to do your homework. Please.

We can help you understand if you don't get something, but don't hope for more.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    It is a question that I do not understand. If you can help me than please do.
    Thanks

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Can you elaborate on what you don't understand? I would think the first thing you need to do is research each type of plant. Once you have that information, you can use it to explain why the begonia dies first and the cactus last under the conditions given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook