Solving Derivative of 6x/(x2+3)2

• Thread starter phillyolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the function 6x/(x2+3)2 can be solved as a multiplication or a fraction. Using the product rule and chain rule, the derivative is found to be (x2-1)/(x2+3)3. However, the student's attempts to solve it were incorrect and they are advised to show their steps to identify their mistakes.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

6x/(x2+3)2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve this function as a multiplication, i.e.

6x (x2+3)-2

my answer is

f ' (x)=[ (x-3)(x-1) ]/(x2+3)3

If I solve it as a fraction
f ' (x)=(v'g-g'v)/g2

I get

f ' (x)=(x2-1)/(x2+3)3

This is all so confusing. Please help me out. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither is correct. Show us your steps so we can see where your mistakes lie.

6x (x2+3)-2

Did you use the product rule followed by the chain rule?

You can consider this function as:

h(x)=f(x)g(p(x))

where:

f(x)=6x, g(z) = z-2 ,and p(x)=x2+3

Now how would you take the derivative of h(x)?

Hint: h'(x)=f'(x)g(p(x))+f(x)g'(p(x))p'(x)

1. What is the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2?

The derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2 is (18x^2-36x+18)/(x^2+3)^3.

2. How do you solve the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2?

To solve the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2, we can use the quotient rule. First, we find the derivative of the numerator, which is 6. Then, we find the derivative of the denominator, which is 2(x^2+3) multiplied by the derivative of x^2+3, which is 2x. We then put these values into the quotient rule formula, (f'g-g'f)/g^2, where f' represents the derivative of the numerator and g' represents the derivative of the denominator. Simplifying the formula gives us (18x^2-36x+18)/(x^2+3)^3 as the final answer.

3. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2?

The purpose of finding the derivative of a function is to determine the rate of change of that function at a specific point. In this case, the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2 tells us the rate of change of the original function at a specific x-value. It can also be used to find the slope of a tangent line to the graph of the function at that point.

4. Can the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2 be simplified further?

Yes, the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2 can be simplified further by factoring out a common factor of 6 from the numerator, giving us 6(3x^2-6x+3)/(x^2+3)^3. However, this is considered to be in its simplest form as it cannot be further reduced without changing the meaning of the original function.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving the derivative of 6x/(x^2+3)^2?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the derivative of a function. For example, in physics, the derivative of a position function can be used to find the velocity of an object at a specific time. In economics, the derivative of a cost function can be used to find the marginal cost of producing an additional unit of a product. In engineering, the derivative of a displacement function can be used to find the acceleration of a moving object. The list goes on, as the concept of rate of change is applicable to many fields of study.