Taking readings for temperature

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, it is generally better to take temperature readings for a substance when it is cooling down rather than when it is warming up. This is because when the substance is heating up, the thermocouple used to measure the temperature may also record the temperature of the surroundings, leading to inaccurate readings. However, when the substance is cooling down, the thermocouple will only measure the temperature of the substance itself, resulting in more accurate readings. This may also be due to hysteresis, where the instrument takes longer to adjust during the heating process.
exequor
why is it better to take temperature readings for a substance when it is cooling down instead of when it is warming up?

Physics news on Phys.org
i was wondering could it be because when the substance is heating up the thermocouple would record the temperature of both the temperature of the substance whose temperature you want to find and the temperature of the surroundings but when it is cooling down only the temperature of the substance would be found.

What reason do you have to think that "while cooling down" is better than "while warming up"?

well the question that i was asked was why was it better to take it when cooling as opposed to when warming up.

Maybe it has something to do with some hysteresis of the instrument?

You could probably get away with posting this in the regular physics forums (i.e. classical mechanics). Incidently, I must appologize that I have no idea for an answer to your question. Hysteresis sounds tenable.

my guess:

if you're heating stuff up with a burner, then heating up goes faster than cooling down. So the thermometer gets more time to adjust.

total guess.

1. What tools are needed for taking temperature readings?

The most common tools used for taking temperature readings include thermometers, infrared thermometers, data loggers, and thermal imaging cameras.

2. How do you calibrate a thermometer for accurate readings?

To calibrate a thermometer, you can use a known temperature source such as an ice bath (0°C) or boiling water (100°C). Place the thermometer in the known temperature source and adjust it accordingly until it reads the correct temperature.

3. What are the different units used for measuring temperature?

The most commonly used units for measuring temperature are degrees Celsius (°C), degrees Fahrenheit (°F), and Kelvin (K). Celsius is used in most countries, while Fahrenheit is primarily used in the United States. Kelvin is often used in scientific research and is based on absolute zero.

4. How often should temperature readings be taken?

The frequency of temperature readings depends on the purpose and requirements of the experiment or observation. For continuous monitoring, readings may be taken every second or minute. For periodic measurements, readings may be taken every hour or day.

5. Can temperature readings be affected by external factors?

Yes, temperature readings can be affected by external factors such as air flow, radiation, and heat sources. It is important to take readings in a controlled environment and to note any external factors that may affect the accuracy of the measurements.