Tangent Line and Coordinates of Trigonometric Function

In summary, the task is to find the x- and y-coordinates of a point on the curve y = \frac{sin x}{\sqrt{2}- cos x} where the tangent line is horizontal. The first step is to take the derivative of the given equation, which can be done using the quotient rule. However, it is important to note that \sqrt{2} is a constant and does not need to be simplified. The coordinates can be found by plugging in the x-value into the function to get the corresponding y-value.
gabyoh23

Homework Statement

There are infinitely many points on the curve y = [tex]\frac{sin x}{\sqrt{2}- cos x}[/tex] at which the tangent line to this curve is horizontal. Find the x- and y-coordinates of one such point.

Homework Equations

y' = slope of the tangent line
Etc., etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to take the derivative of the given equation, and at first, I tried using the quotient rule, but I got nowhere with that. Then I tried rationalizing the [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], but that didn't really get me anywhere either. I also have no idea how to find the x- and y-coordinates.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing needs to be done with [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], it is a constant. What's the derivative of a constant? (btw, [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is an irrational number which is why you couldn't rationalize it.)

The coordinates are the x and y-values of the function and y=f(x) so, (x,y)=(x,f(x))

To the OP, please show us your work in taking the derivative using the quotient rule. I did the same and got a particularly pleasing answer.

I got something like [tex]\frac{1-cos^2(x)}{2-cos^2(x)}[/tex].
I'm not sure if this right at all. My prowess with the quotient rule is shoddy at best.

FAQ: Tangent Line and Coordinates of Trigonometric Function

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at a single point, without crossing through it. In the context of trigonometric functions, a tangent line is a line that touches a point on a trigonometric curve at a specific angle.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a point on a trigonometric curve?

The coordinates of a point on a trigonometric curve can be found by using the values of the trigonometric function (sine, cosine, or tangent) at a specific angle. The x-coordinate is equal to the cosine of the angle and the y-coordinate is equal to the sine of the angle.

3. What is the relationship between the tangent line and the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The tangent line to a point on a trigonometric curve is equivalent to the derivative of the trigonometric function at that point. In other words, the slope of the tangent line is equal to the value of the derivative of the function at that point.

4. How do you calculate the slope of a tangent line to a trigonometric function?

The slope of a tangent line to a trigonometric function can be calculated using the formula for the derivative of the function at a specific angle. For example, the slope of the tangent line to the sine function at an angle of x would be equal to the cosine of x.

5. What is the significance of the coordinates of a point on a trigonometric curve?

The coordinates of a point on a trigonometric curve represent the values of the trigonometric function (sine, cosine, or tangent) at a specific angle. These values can be used to solve mathematical problems, model real-world phenomena, and make predictions about the behavior of the function.