1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent of a circle question

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball that is circling with x=cos(2t), y=sin(2t) flies off on a tangent at t=Pi/8. find its departure point and its position vector at a later time t (linear motion; compute its constant velocity v).

2. Relevant equations
    v=dR/dt T=v/|v|= (dR/dt)/(ds/dt)=dR/ds.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have got to be the dumbest person on the planet. all I can think to do is this: R= cos(2t) + sin(2t). I thought after that it'd be a good idea to differentiate to find the velocity, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. what I find is this: v=-2sin(2t)+2cos(2t). then I went to find |v|, but I'm don't know how to compute it when I've still got the t in there.

whatever I do there, it's just not coming out right with the answer key. (thank goodness I have at least one odd-numbered problem tonight!!) what the author says is this:
    leaves at (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2); v=(sqrt(2), sqrt(2)); R= (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2) + v(t-Pi/8) which is the position at time t.

helppppp! I promise this is my last post tonight! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiate the VECTOR (cos(2t),sin(2t)) and find its length! Don't differentiate cos(2t)+sin(2t). You aren't the dumbest person on the planet. I've been getting a bounty of dumb questions tonite and this is by no means the worst.

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    this is a potential lightbulb moment!! I still have questions, though. are my differentiations correct other than the fact that I tried to add them? I'm not sure how to find the length since there are still t's involved.

thanks for the morale boost, dick!

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. The derivative vector is (-2*sin(2t),2*cos(2t)). The length of a vector (x,y) is sqrt(x^2+y^2). There's an identity that says cos^2(a)+sin^2(a)=??? Can you look that up for me? Uh, don't let my praise go to your head. :)

6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    well I don't know about that identity... I know cos^2(u)+sin^2(u)=1, but if we're talking about the same one, I'm not sure how that does me any good because what I'm getting under the square root is this:
    -4sin^2(4t)+4cos^2(4t).

7. Sep 18, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Noooo. You have 4*sin^2(2t)+4*cos^(2t). (-2*sin(2t))^2=4*sin^(2t). sin(2t)*sin(2t) is not sin^2(4t). Please rethink that and get back to me in the morning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?