What Other Point(s) Have the Same Tangent Plane?

In summary, the problem asked to find an equation for the tangent plane to the surface z^2 = x^2 + 2y^2 at the point P = (1,2,3). The derivatives were found and used to determine the plane, which is given by 6z = 2x + 8y. Other points on the surface with the same tangent plane can be found by looking at the normal vectors. It is also noted that it is simpler to write the surface as a level surface for F, with its gradient perpendicular to the surface. It is recommended to specify the function when using notations such as fx and fy.
kasse
[SOLVED] Tangent plane to surface

Homework Statement

Find an equation for the tangent plane to the surface z^2 = x^2 + 2y^2 at the point P = (1,2,3). Which other points on the surface have the same tangent plane?

2. The attempt at a solution

I find the derivatives:

fx = x/(2*sqrt(x^2 + 2y^2))
fy = 2y/(2*sqrt(x^2 + 2y^2))

The plane is given by:

z - f(1,2,3) = fx(1,2,3)(x-1) + fy(1,2,3)(y-2)

6z = 2x + 8y

So then, which other points on the surface have the same tangent plane?

I also have another question: Why does it suffice to write z = sqrt(x^2 + sy^2) instead of z = (+/-)sqrt(x^2 + sy^2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First,
[tex]f_y\ne \frac{2y}{2\sqrt{x^2+ 2y^2}}[/itex]
I suspect you forgot the "2" multiplying y2.

You are given that the point in question is (1, 2, 3). z= 3 which is positive. That's why you can use [itex]z= \sqrt{x^2+ 2y^2}[/itex] for that point. Of course, other points, having the same tangent plane, might have z negative. In order to determine what other points on the surface have the same tangent plane, you should first determine what other points on the surface are also on that plane. Once you have those, then look at the normal vectors.

By the way, for those of us who don't like square roots, it is simpler to write F(x,y,z)= x2+ 2y2- z2= 0, so the surface is a "level surface" for F. It's gradient, [itex]\nabla F= 2x\vec{i}+ 4y\vec{j}- 2z\vec{k}[/itex] is perpendicular to that surface. In particular, [itex]\nabla F(1,2,3)= 2\vec{i}+ 8\vec{j}- 6\vec{k}[/itex] gives exactly the same tangent plane.

Finally, please don't use "fx", "fy", etc. without first telling us what f is! I was able to guess that [itex]f(x,y)= z= \sqrt{x^2+ 2y^2}[/itex] but you should have said that.

1. What is a tangent plane to a surface?

A tangent plane to a surface is a flat surface that touches the surface at only one point. It is parallel to the surface at that point and represents the most accurate linear approximation of the surface at that point.

2. How is the tangent plane calculated?

The tangent plane to a surface can be calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface's equation at a given point. The partial derivatives represent the slopes of the surface in the x and y directions. The equation for the tangent plane is then derived using these slopes and the coordinates of the given point.

3. What is the significance of the tangent plane in surface analysis?

The tangent plane is significant in surface analysis because it helps to understand the local behavior of a surface at a specific point. It can be used to find the rate of change of the surface in different directions and to approximate the behavior of the surface in the surrounding area.

4. Can the tangent plane change at different points on a surface?

Yes, the tangent plane can change at different points on a surface. This is because the slope of the surface and the coordinates of the point of tangency will be different, resulting in a different tangent plane. In fact, the tangent plane will change at every point on a curved surface.

5. How is the tangent plane related to the normal vector of a surface?

The normal vector of a surface is perpendicular to the tangent plane at a given point. This means that the normal vector can be used to find the equation of the tangent plane, and vice versa. The normal vector is also used to determine the angle between the tangent plane and other planes or vectors in space.