Tangent Properties Symmetry, domain, asymptotes, zeroes

In summary, the function y=-2\tan (3x+\pi) +3 has a period of \frac{\pi}{3}, a y-intercept of 3, and a range of all real numbers. The domain is all real numbers except for those that make the argument of the tangent function undefined, which are odd multiples of \frac{\pi}{2}. The function has symmetry about the origin and has vertical asymptotes at odd multiples of \frac{\pi}{2}. To find the zeros of the function, set the equation equal to 0 and solve for x. To find the symmetry, consider the argument of the tangent function and solve for x values that make it equal to odd multiples of \frac{\pi}{
aisha
[tex] y=-2\tan (3x+\pi) +3 [/tex]

state the following

period = [tex] \frac {\pi} {3} [/tex]

y-intercept=3

Range = {y: yER}

Domain= {x: ?}

Symmetry?

Vertical Asymptotes?

Zeros?

Can someone please tell me how to figure out what is left there are so many zeroes and i can't read them off of my graphing calculator and same with vertical asymptotes aren't zeroes and this the same thing? I'm a little confused can someone please help me out? I am not sure how to find symmetry either .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28

Last edited:
Peope here won't do your homework for you. If you can prove to someone you gave the problem decent effort before coming here for help then maybe someone will POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION but not solve it for you.

G01 said:
Peope here won't do your homework for you. If you can prove to someone you gave the problem decent effort before coming here for help then maybe someone will POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION but not solve it for you.

That's just a little bit harsh- The original post DID include answers to the the first part of the problem- period, y-intercept, range.

Aisha- the "domain" is the set of all x values for which the function CAN be calculated. The basic function here is tan(x). For what values of x is it NOT possible for find tan(x)? Looking at a graph of y= tan(x) in your textbook might help you see that.

Symmetry should be obvious from a graph- or from the fact that tan(-x)= ?

Vertical asymptotes- closely associated with the problem of finding the domain! Look at graph- perhaps using a large "window".

zeros- where is [tex] y=-2\tan (3x+\pi) +3= 0 [/tex]? Solve the equation!

ok i still don't think I get symmetry but for the range I've got
{x: x cannot = -90,90,270,...,XER}
this is from tan(theta) not from the equation I wrote in the first post.

If i look at that equation on my graphing calculator i get
{x: x cannot= 0.47, 1.53, -3.76, -4.80.. XER}

the vertical asymptotes will be the same numbers I assume

Please help me out a little more thanks :yuck:

im not sure how to solve the equation equal to zero

Aisha- did you notice that [itex]\pi[/tex] in your function? When trig functions are used as functions, rather than to solve problems about right triangles, the argument is always in radians, not degrees!

tan(x) is not defined (and so the domain does not include) [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex], [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], or generally any odd multiple of [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]- that is, any number that can be written [itex](2n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] where n represents any integer.
However, your function involves [itex]tan(3x+\pi)[/tex]. For what values of x is [itex]3x+\pi= (2n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]?

Of course, you can solve [itex]-2\tan (3x+\pi) +3 = 0[/itex]!
That's the same as saying [itex]tan(3x+\pi)= \frac{3}{2}[/itex].
Can you find [itex]\theta[/itex] so that [itex]tan(\theta)= \frac{3}{2}[/itex]?
You might need to use a calculator for that. Be sure to put it in radian mode!

Once you found that [itex]\theta[/itex], finish by finding x so that [tex]3x+\pi= \theta[/itex].

sry when I posted that I was having a bad day... sry to take it out on all of you guys

1. What is the definition of symmetry in tangent properties?

Symmetry in tangent properties refers to a line or point that divides a curve into two equal halves, where one half is the mirror image of the other. In other words, if you were to fold the curve along the line or point of symmetry, both halves would perfectly overlap.

2. What is the domain of a tangent function?

The domain of a tangent function is all real numbers except for values where the tangent function is undefined, which occurs at intervals of π/2 radians (90 degrees). This is because the tangent function has vertical asymptotes at these values.

3. What are asymptotes in tangent properties?

An asymptote is a straight line that a curve approaches but never touches. In tangent properties, there are both horizontal and vertical asymptotes. The horizontal asymptote for a tangent function is y = 0, while the vertical asymptotes occur at intervals of π/2 radians (90 degrees).

4. What are zeroes in tangent properties?

Zeroes, also known as roots, are values of x where the tangent function equals zero. In other words, these are the points where the tangent curve crosses the x-axis. The most common zeroes for tangent functions occur at intervals of π radians (180 degrees).

5. How do you find the equation of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve?

To find the equation of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve, you can use the slope formula, which is the derivative of the function evaluated at the given point. Once you have the slope, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line. Alternatively, you can also use the tangent function with the given point to find the equation of the tangent line.