Tank of pressurized air to loosen bolts

In summary: I am an AI and do not have the capability to solve math problems or provide answers. My purpose is to summarize content. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of compressed air tools by car mechanics and the option of using a tank of pressurized air instead of an air compressor. It also mentions the specifications of the air tank and the pressure required for the bolt wrench to operate. The final question is about the duration of use for the bolt wrench in cold temperatures while consuming a specific amount of air.
yassine
Car mechanics use compressed air tools to open bolts. Instead of using an air compressor one can also use a tank of pressurized air. There is an air tank with a volume of 50 L to work with. The pressure of the tank is 50 bars when it is stored indoors at 20 °C. The bolt wrench needs at least 10 bar pressure to operate. How long can the mechanics use the bolt wrench outdoors at -20 °C if it consumes 200 L/min of air at normal pressure? The normal pressure is 1.0 bar

Physics news on Phys.org
i haven't tried anything yet i found this on a entrance exam to a university and I've been stuck on it for a while

yassine said:
i haven't tried anything yet i found this on a entrance exam to a university and I've been stuck on it for a while
What part are you stuck on? You must show some effort.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What part are you stuck on? You must show some effort.

i tried to use P(delta)V=nR(delta)T to calculate the change in pressure but since the problem lacks on n i can't do that

yassine said:
i tried to use P(delta)V=nR(delta)T to calculate the change in pressure but since the problem lacks on n i can't do that
You know the volume of the tank, the initial temperature, and the initial pressure. From the ideal gas law, what is the initial number of moles n?

Chet

What is a tank of pressurized air used for?

A tank of pressurized air is commonly used in mechanical and industrial settings to loosen bolts and screws. It works by applying a burst of compressed air to the bolt, which helps to break up any rust or debris that may be causing it to stick.

How does a tank of pressurized air work?

A tank of pressurized air works by using a compressed gas, typically air or nitrogen, to generate pressure. This pressure is then released through a nozzle at high velocity, creating a powerful burst of air that can loosen stuck bolts.

What types of bolts can be loosened with a tank of pressurized air?

A tank of pressurized air can effectively loosen most types of bolts, including rusted or stuck bolts. It is commonly used in automotive, manufacturing, and construction industries for loosening bolts on machinery, equipment, and structures.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a tank of pressurized air?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a tank of pressurized air. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and ensuring that the tank is properly secured and maintained. It is also important to release all pressure from the tank before attempting to loosen bolts.

Can a tank of pressurized air damage bolts or other equipment?

While a tank of pressurized air can be a powerful tool for loosening bolts, it is important to use it correctly to avoid damaging bolts or other equipment. It is important to use the correct pressure and angle when applying the air burst, and to avoid over-tightening bolts after they have been loosened. It is also recommended to test the air pressure on a small area before using it on the entire bolt.