1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tank of pressurized air to loosen bolts

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    Car mechanics use compressed air tools to open bolts. Instead of using an air compressor one can also use a tank of pressurized air. There is an air tank with a volume of 50 L to work with. The pressure of the tank is 50 bars when it is stored indoors at 20 °C. The bolt wrench needs at least 10 bar pressure to operate. How long can the mechanics use the bolt wrench outdoors at -20 °C if it consumes 200 L/min of air at normal pressure? The normal pressure is 1.0 bar

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2
    Please show what your have tried

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    i haven't tried anything yet i found this on a entrance exam to a university and i've been stuck on it for a while

5. Apr 6, 2015 #4
    What part are you stuck on? You must show some effort.

6. Apr 6, 2015 #5
    i tried to use P(delta)V=nR(delta)T to calculate the change in pressure but since the problem lacks on n i can't do that

7. Apr 6, 2015 #6
    You know the volume of the tank, the initial temperature, and the initial pressure. From the ideal gas law, what is the initial number of moles n?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted