Understanding Changes in Tap Water pH Over Time

In summary, tap water can rise or decline in pH after it has been set aside for a period of time, depending on the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air near the water source and and in your house.
caliban07
Why does tap water ph rise or decline after it has been set aside for a period of time.

I've heard that Co2 or chlorine 'gas off' and the result in loss if CO2 can raise ph?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Both are definitely a factor here.

Carbon dioxide can work both ways - depending on the concentration of CO2 in the air near the water source and and in your house it can either leave the water, or dissolve, changing pH up or down.

Borek said:
Both are definitely a factor here.

Carbon dioxide can work both ways - depending on the concentration of CO2 in the air near the water source and and in your house it can either leave the water, or dissolve, changing pH up or down.
I suppose the rate in which it changed would also depend on whether there was surface agitation provided by some kind of air flow or water fall which would break the surface enabling better/easier gas transfer?

What part does chlorine play? I've tried to seek explanations online but have been unsuccessful so far.

caliban07 said:
I suppose the rate in which it changed would also depend on whether there was surface agitation provided by some kind of air flow or water fall which would break the surface enabling better/easier gas transfer?

Definitely.

What part does chlorine play? I've tried to seek explanations online but have been unsuccessful so far.

It should slightly acidify the solution, as it reacts with water producing two acid - HCl and HOCl. But chlorine concentrations in tap water are orders of magnitude lower than concentrations of carbon dioxide, so in most applications their effect on pH can be ignored.

What about the temperature of the water? Would that have an effect on the way the gas is transferred ie does warmer water have a better gas transfer at the surface that would change ph faster or change the ph all together?

I'm only talking warm in the region of 26-30 degrees C

There are two different things here.

One, is what is happening at the equilibrium, the other is how fast we get to that equilibrium. Both depend on the temperature.

Note, that is much easier to calculate equilibrium (final) pH, that to predict pH changes in time (transport phenomena can get incredibly complicated even in what looks like a simple case).

1. What is the ideal pH level for tap water?

The ideal pH level for tap water is between 6.5 and 8.5. This range is considered safe for human consumption and does not cause any negative effects on health.

2. Does tap water pH change over time?

Yes, tap water pH can change over time due to various factors such as the presence of minerals, chemicals, and bacteria. The pH level can also be affected by the type of pipes used to transport the water.

3. How long does it take for tap water pH to change?

The time it takes for tap water pH to change can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for the pH level to change significantly.

4. Can tap water pH affect the taste of water?

Yes, tap water pH can affect the taste of water. Water with a low pH level (acidic) may have a sour or metallic taste, while water with a high pH level (alkaline) may have a bitter or soapy taste.

5. How can I test the pH level of my tap water?

You can test the pH level of your tap water using a pH testing kit or strips, which are easily available at most hardware or home improvement stores. Alternatively, you can also contact your local water utility company to request a water quality report, which includes information on the pH level of your tap water.