1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tarzan, Fluids, and Pressure

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    Ape Man in a movie is shown evading his captors by hiding underwater for many minutes while breathing through a long reed. Assuming the maximum pressure difference lungs can manage and still breathe is -80 mm-Hg , calculate the deepest he could have been.

I immediately thought of P = p*g*h, where p = density. h is the depth, but this is for gauge pressure. Do I use the formula for absolute pressure P = atmospheric pressure + pgh?

Am I correct in my reasoning?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2
    First... you have to make an assumtion that the lung won't be compress under water, otherwise the problem can't be solve this way.
    Yes the absolute pressure under water is [itex] \rho g h + 1atm [/itex]... however, the pressure inside the (uncompressed) lung is 1atm... so the DIFFERENT of the pressue is [itex] \rho g h[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?