Tau and phi (conjugates?) fibonacci sequence

In summary, tau and phi are considered conjugates because when multiplied, their result does not contain any square roots, similar to how multiplying conjugate complex numbers yields a real number. This understanding can also aid in understanding the Binet formula.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

Would tau and phi be considered conjugates?

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\phi[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a complex number such as 1+2i would have 1-2i as a conjugate. However, for fractions, I can't quite remember if the same rule applies.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, the reason is tau x phi will give a results with not square roots in the expression

similarly for complex numbers, the result of multiplying conjugates is real

lanedance said:
yes, the reason is tau x phi will give a results with not square roots in the expression

similarly for complex numbers, the result of multiplying conjugates is real

Thank you! This will help me better understand the binet formula :biggrin:

Related to Tau and phi (conjugates?) fibonacci sequence

What is the significance of tau and phi in the Fibonacci sequence?

The ratio of tau (τ) and phi (φ) in the Fibonacci sequence is closely related to the famous golden ratio. The golden ratio is approximately 1.61803398875, and the ratio of consecutive Fibonacci numbers approaches this value as the sequence gets longer.

What is the formula for finding tau and phi in the Fibonacci sequence?

The formula for finding tau and phi in the Fibonacci sequence is as follows:
τ = (1 + √5) / 2
φ = (1 - √5) / 2
These values can also be found by dividing any two consecutive Fibonacci numbers, such as 3/2 or 8/5.

Why are tau and phi sometimes referred to as "conjugates" in the Fibonacci sequence?

In the context of the Fibonacci sequence, "conjugates" refers to the fact that tau and phi are reciprocals of each other. This means that when you multiply them together, you will get 1. In other words, tau and phi are conjugates of each other because they are inverse values.

How do tau and phi relate to the spiral patterns found in nature?

The spiral patterns found in nature, such as the spiral of a seashell or the spiral of a sunflower, often follow the golden ratio. This is because the golden ratio is an efficient and aesthetically pleasing way for objects to grow and maintain balance. As tau and phi are closely related to the golden ratio, they also play a role in these natural spiral patterns.

Are there any other applications of tau and phi besides their connection to the Fibonacci sequence?

Yes, tau and phi have numerous applications in different fields such as art, architecture, music, and even investing. The golden ratio and its related values have been studied and utilized by many famous artists, architects, and musicians throughout history. In investing, some traders and analysts use the Fibonacci sequence and its ratios to make predictions about stock market trends.