Taylor expansion of 1/distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of vectors in Taylor expansion and specifically focuses on the dot product of two vectors. The process of deriving Taylor expansion of multiple vector variables is also briefly mentioned. The summary concludes with the final equation obtained after the derivation.
mertcan
upload_2017-9-1_22-11-7.png

Hi, I would like to express that r and r' are vectors in the attachment and let's say that r is observer distance vector r' is source distance vector. By the way I know this is taylor expansion (for instance if there was only x component (scalar form) I would not any ask question ). But I do not understand when we include vectors, why there is a dot product of r and r'?? Also I know the taylor expansion of multiple scalar variables but I do not know how to derive taylor expansion of multiple vector variables ( I think 1/distance is a scalar function comprised of 2 different vectors here )?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the vectors in component form, although this isn't a very elegant solution. It's very straightforward though.
##\frac{1}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'|} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sum_i(r_i - r'_i)^2}}##
If you do a taylor expansion around ##r_x'=r_y'=r_z'=0##
you get ##\frac{1}{r} + \sum_i{\left[\partial_i \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sum_j (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}')^2}} \right) r_i' \right] } ## (partial operates only on the next term in paren)
##= \frac{1}{r} + \sum_i{\left[\frac{-1}{2} \left(\sum_j (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}')^2 \right)^{-3/2} \partial_i \left(\sum_j (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}')^2 \right) r_i' \right] } ## (chain rule)
##= \frac{1}{r} + \sum_i{\left[\frac{-1}{2} \left(\sum_j (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}')^2 \right)^{-3/2} (-2) \left(r_i-r_i' \right) r_i' \right] } ## (chain rule)
The derivative was supposed to be evaluated at r' = 0, so it becomes
##= \frac{1}{r} + \sum_i{\left[\left(\sum_j (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}')^2 \right)^{-3/2} \left(r_i \right) r_i' \right] } ## (chain rule)
Let ##r=\sqrt{\sum_i(r_i - r'_i)^2}##
##= \frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{r^3} r_i r_i' ##
That's the same as ##\frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{r^3} \mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{r}_i'##

Likes mertcan

What is the Taylor expansion of 1/distance?

The Taylor expansion of 1/distance is a mathematical series that approximates the value of the function 1/distance at a given point. It is also known as the Maclaurin series and is used to represent functions as a sum of infinite terms.

How is the Taylor expansion of 1/distance derived?

The Taylor expansion of 1/distance is derived using the Taylor series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and evaluating them. The resulting series is then simplified to obtain the Maclaurin series for 1/distance.

Why is the Taylor expansion of 1/distance useful?

The Taylor expansion of 1/distance is useful because it allows for the approximation of complex functions, such as 1/distance, using simpler polynomials. This makes it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of functions.

What are the applications of the Taylor expansion of 1/distance?

The Taylor expansion of 1/distance has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in numerical analysis, optimization, and modeling physical phenomena. It is also used in differential equations to solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetics, and thermodynamics.

Does the Taylor expansion of 1/distance always converge?

No, the Taylor expansion of 1/distance may not always converge. The convergence of the series depends on the behavior of the function 1/distance at the point of expansion. If the function is not analytic at that point, the series may not converge. Therefore, it is important to check for convergence before using the Taylor expansion as an approximation.