1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series integration

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    Questions:

Is there a quicker way to find the formula for the nth derivative of a function, instead of finding the first several derivatives and trying to find a pattern, and using that pattern to form the equation for the nth derivative?

Also, is there a formula for the nth derivative of x^x? I cant find a formula for its derivatives so i cant find the polynomial. By the third derivative it starts to get complicated, and by the 5th i need to use 4 lines on a sheet of notebook paper just to write the derivative. Then i gave up because it got too cumbersome. when x^x is diffferentiated, it gives a x^x(1+lnx), and when that's differentiated, it gives a x^(x-1), then that gives a x^(x-1)*(1+lnx-1/x) Those terms keep producing more and more things, all the while the x^x(1+lnx)^n and x^(x-1)*(1+lnx-1/x)^n keep adding more and more things to the equation until it becomes a monster.

maybe if i tried differentiating logx(y)=x, but i cant figure out how to do that in the first place. I have a feeling that it will be even more complicated, because implicit differentation would be required.

Also im curious, is x^x a function one step higher than exponentation? Just as exponentation is a step higher than multiplication and multiplication is a step higher than addition.

And, how do i integrate the series of a series? like if the x of a taylor polynomial is another taylor polynomial. If that integration is impossible, then how do i find the taylor polynomial that represents a taylor polynomial of a taylor polynomial?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Not in any "useful" form. Of course, [tex] \frac{d^n}{dx^n}[/tex] does it quite well.

Same answer.
    Multiplication is *repeated* addition, Exponentiation is repeated *multiplication.* Is this repeated exponentiation .. ? =]

For a general function that would seem quite difficult and would most likely result in integrals with non -elementary derivatives. For some special function that may reduce to something "nice" though.

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    There isn't anything special about x^x, when you see that x^x = e^(x ln x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?